Who pays the union leaders?

There was an article in the metro today talking about the salaries of union leaders-the ones listed earning of £100k per year plus free houses etc.:o

Is this all payed for by the workers they are supposed to be representing? I decided not to pay into my union as I don't believe I would ever be in a position in my job where I would need it. Im bloomin glad I made that decision if thats where the money goes? Is it?

Members contributions pay for their salaries. Considering they are basically chief executives of organisations with in some cases a million members they are paid fairly low rates in comparison with what a business leader would get.

Do you think unions should lead a campaign for low pay starting with their own salaries? Such an argument would rather contradict their ethos!

I hope you don't need a union in the future, but I can't think of any reason to think you will be immune from the behaviour that affects other workers in the workplace.

Even if you are immune, there are other reasons to join a union:

http://www.youtube.com/ITUCCSI#p/u/0/PWvuOqCEU9U

I think they should start a campaign for realistic pay!

If I don't like the terms of my employment I will leave, if I get treated unfairly there are other means of complaining. I don't believe in striking if my pay is reduced in the current climate.

I don't know why I would need a union.

How will me joining a union here prevent climate change or help people in other countries. The best way to help workers in other countries is not buying from companies that use sweatshops etc not paying some rich git a load more money. That video was completely useless. It didn't even try top explain why these things were linked to joining a union 0/10

There was an article in the metro today talking about the salaries of union leaders-the ones listed earning of £100k per year plus free houses etc.:o

Is this all payed for by the workers they are supposed to be representing? I decided not to pay into my union as I don't believe I would ever be in a position in my job where I would need it. Im bloomin glad I made that decision if thats where the money goes? Is it?

You are either on a wind-up, or you are an innocent abroad.

Don't forget, we have a Tory government now.

The weakest will go first, this includes you, as you have no defence against the bosses from your colleagues (ie The Union).

You will be surprised at how well you are treated by management when you go into negotiating meetings with your Union rep.

These people know the Law, and how to deal with management.

You will always get a better result than if you try alone.

I think they should start a campaign for realistic pay!

If I don't like the terms of my employment I will leave, if I get treated unfairly there are other means of complaining. I don't believe in striking if my pay is reduced in the current climate.

I don't know why I would need a union.

Stay where you are at present.

There are no jobs out there, and will be a lot less before this shower of incompetents have done..

If they are messing you about get the Union in sharpish.

Why do you think footballers and actors get paid so well?

They have agents and unions guarding their interests.

Stay where you are at present.

There are no jobs out there, and will be a lot less before this shower of incompetents have done..

If they are messing you about get the Union in sharpish.

Why do you think footballers and actors get paid so well?

They have agents and unions guarding their interests.

footballers get paid well because they have a short career and are very very unlikely to make it.

actors usually have to work as waiters/waitresses again with very very little chance of earning anything substantial.

I doubt Rooney and Julia Roberts get paid well because they are in a union.

footballers get paid well because they have a short career and are very very unlikely to make it.

actors usually have to work as waiters/waitresses again with very very little chance of earning anything substantial.

I doubt Rooney and Julia Roberts get paid well because they are in a union.

Alright, copy Wayne and Julia then, just what some people like, unshaven women, with hairy armpits.

They are not paid highly because they have a short career, or if they are that is because the agent/union has made it so. The overriding reason is that the supply of top level footballers is very low, therefore in order to get the best (or rather, the players the boss thinks is the best) you have to pay more than your competitors.

But anyway, the actors union is very powerful, they can shut a production down in seconds.

But they aren't well paid unless they are at the top, both get awful wages until they make it. I would be in a union if I was an actor but not because of pay.

Well, in terms of footballers, it depends what you mean by awful. If you mean once you get into non-league they are awful, you would be correct, but then the vast majority are semi-pro or amateur so have another income anyway.

Once you get into the football league, the majority of wages are comparable with average wages in the country at large. They are only awful by the standards of the top division, not by everyday standards.

And as for acting, someone who is working as a waitress and has no acting work at that time is a waitress, not an actor. It annoys me when the claim is made that they are an actor, they aren't. It would be like me claiming to be a professional footballer, even though i am currently working in an office.

well as we were talking about unions ensuring people get paid well I was including semi pro footballers and waitress/actresses (both jobs being part time). The pro footballers and full time actors probably do not need a union, they would get paid well anyway.

Archived