Who pays the union leaders?

So their box office draw has nothing to do with it?

I said they put the ground work in, what happened to the days when they were on a few quid a week and “bungs” were the norm, if it weren’t for unions we would still have people working for £2 an hour and kids working for nothing.

We all know that unions got too big for their boots but lets not forget all the work they did in the early days.

I think they should start a campaign for realistic pay!

:huh:

Do you think £100,000 too much?

Do you think the same of Chief Execs of similar sized companies, who get paid far more and do less? If so then you would probably best getting involved in and promoting a union campaign on Fat Cat pay.

If I don't like the terms of my employment I will leave, if I get treated unfairly there are other means of complaining.

Leaving is a form of complaining? I suppose it is, but it isn't a very productive one.

I don't believe in striking if my pay is reduced in the current climate.

In which case you can vote against striking, but obviously only if you are a union member.

I don't know why I would need a union.

Lots of people say that, until they find themselves being victimised.

How will me joining a union here prevent climate change or help people in other countries. The best way to help workers in other countries is not buying from companies that use sweatshops etc not paying some rich git a load more money. That video was completely useless. It didn't even try top explain why these things were linked to joining a union 0/10

It was only a short video.

Joining a union helps on climate change because A) you will be part of a collective voice arguing for a sustainable and ethical purchasing policy and B) you will be a part of a group of people sharing news and campaigning information on the subject.

Joining a union helps workers in other countries because we can negotiate for ethical procurement practicesm and because it is through trade unions that workers around the world, like we have and continue to do organise for our rights.

This gives you a current idea of what trade unions are doing internationally:

http://www.labourstart.org/

You may well feel comparatively privileged compared to a worker in India for example, certainly examples like this put a perspective on the situation workers face in the UK,

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main45.asp?filename=Ne030710coalchild.asp

but workers in India rely on their unions and international solidarity work from unions in the rest of the world for the support they need to highlight and campaign against their treatment.

No, it does not.

Until Jimmy Hill organised them, back in the sixties, they were paid ordinary working mens wages.

The Chairmen of the clubs took all the money.

Stanley Mathews et al, took home about 15 quid a week.

And some of our World Cup team have died in poverty.

Even to the extent of selling their medals.

Maybe not but like all workers they are relying on the ground work put in by unions over the years. :roll:

I said they put the ground work in, what happened to the days when they were on a few quid a week and “bungs” were the norm, if it weren’t for unions we would still have people working for £2 an hour and kids working for nothing.

We all know that unions got too big for their boots but lets not forget all the work they did in the early days.

Nah, I put it to you that so called closed shop unions like Equity are still ineffective even at the basics starter level. I give you independant film makers asking people to submit their time and value for free because it's a sexy industry. I've no comment on whether it is right, but you'll get the point.

Ignore the Unions and thier fellow travellers they are politally motivated gangsters who would have ruined this country had it not been saved by Thatcher and the tories.

Scargill closed the mines, Scanlon and Jones finished the motor industry. A conglomerate of fools closed Fleet Street. The steel industry was ruined by the steel strike not by Thatcher.

Dont fall for it, form a works committee, represent yourselves.

ex NUM

You seem to have forgotten the Ridley plan made clear what the Govt.s intentions were and they followed them through. Regardless of who was leader of the NUM, the coal industry and its union was going to be trashed.

Ironically the far left syndicalist form of unionism you propose is precisely the one that characterised the NUM and it was one of their weaknesses (as well as strengths) that caused the strike to occur as a matter of fact in Yorkshire before Scargill or anyone else in a leadership role had any say in the matter.

No, it does not.

Until Jimmy Hill organised them, back in the sixties, they were paid ordinary working mens wages.

The Chairmen of the clubs took all the money.

Stanley Mathews et al, took home about 15 quid a week.

And some of our World Cup team have died in poverty.

Even to the extent of selling their medals.

Too true .........

To this day Kennedy lives a quiet, homebound life with decreased mobility and a dependency on drugs to control the discomfort of his condition. He had to sell his medals, caps, shirts and other memorabilia after falling on financially hard times.

Kennedy is still a favourite amongst Liverpool supporters and was voted in at No.28 on the 2006 poll

Honours

Arsenal (1968–1974) - 212 appearances, 71 goals

Liverpool (1974–1982) - 393 appearances, 72 goals

Swansea City (1982–1983) 42 appearances, 2 goals

England (1976–1980) - 17 caps, 3 goals

Nah, I put it to you that so called closed shop unions like Equity are still ineffective even at the basics starter level. I give you independant film makers asking people to submit their time and value for free because it's a sexy industry. I've no comment on whether it is right, but you'll get the point.

Nope. I don't get your point. Equity isn't a Closed Shop union, as I said before they are illegal under Thatcher's anti-union laws.

Nope. I don't get your point. Equity isn't a Closed Shop union, as I said before they are illegal under Thatcher's anti-union laws.

I didn't say that it was. The point is that it is completely ineffective as a union except when the union leaders want to make a point of their choosing by shutting down a business yet lots, of people work for free or penury rates in their industry. That is as close to the definition of useless as I can imagine.

I didn't say that it was. The point is that it is completely ineffective as a union except when the union leaders want to make a point of their choosing by shutting down a business yet lots, of people work for free or penury rates in their industry. That is as close to the definition of useless as I can imagine.

That is one union.

What about Unite and Unison?

They are the great Unions of today.

Fighting against stupidity such as PFI and all the evils associated with it.

Tony, you sometimes talk great sense, as with your informed views on subjects such as the WTC.

But on workers views and politics, you speak nonsense.

That is one union.

What about Unite and Unison?

They are the great Unions of today.

Fighting against stupidity such as PFI and all the evils associated with it.

Tony, you sometimes talk great sense, as with your informed views on subjects such as the WTC.

But on workers views and politics, you speak nonsense.

You misunderstand me on that one Artisan. I do think that there is a valuable place for unions but I reckon that a belligerent union is an ineffective beast that only serves itself, not its members.

You've been in senior positions before, you know how it works. Confrontation is rarely if ever a sustainable solution whereas a good negotiation usually gets both parties to the place where they are both the least disappointed. A negotiation where somebody is especially happy usually means that the other party isn't and that it will all fall apart in due course.

And yes, PFI's are stupid.

Archived