Who pays the union leaders?

Yes its too much and how on eart can you compare a union rep with a company that makes money. They are entirely different. If a company makes billions it can pay whatever it wants to its chief executives as its their money.

A union isn't a business although I think thats what the union bosses think.

It is such a shallow view of the world that the only thing important to you is the making of money. :rolleyes:

Read back what you have written do you really think that is an argument that makes any sense at all?

I don't believe this one although Im happy to be proved wrong. It is however irrelevant to me as I use my purchasing power to the same end!

How do you use your purchasing power to influence the policies of the organisation you work for?

It is such a shallow view of the world that the only thing important to you is the making of money. :rolleyes:

Read back what you have written do you really think that is an argument that makes any sense at all?

I didn't in any way saying that making money is the only important thing to me! Some nice reading what you wanted to read done there:hihi:

I didn't in any way saying that making money is the only important thing to me! Some nice reading what you wanted to read done there:hihi:

So why is that the only criteria you will allow for a decent salary?

I am happy for people to be paid according to the work they contribute, you on the other hand are restricting decent salaries to only those people employed in businesses that make profits.

So why is that the only criteria you will allow for a decent salary?

I am happy for people to be paid according to the work they contribute, you on the other hand are restricting decent salaries to only those people employed in businesses that make profits.

you think £50000 is not a decent salary? No-one can contribute enough to be worth £100000, however if a business is making billions its not really any of our business.

Closed shops are illegal.

Equity does operate its own type of closed shop, you can't get an Equity card if you can't prove you have worked in the arts/entertainment field. And, it's not just for actors. My OH worked as a professional singer for many years, in big bands, and on his own in clubs and cabaret and was an Equity member for years. He's still on the retired members' list.

When work became scarce for people trying to 'keep music live' (it all started in the 60s with discoes/DJs!) he took any kind of work he could to keep the wolf from the door. In the early 90s he got occasional work as an extra in TV productions. However, much of that work was done by people who'd never been in Equity. The union didn't appear to have much clout there. :suspect:

You misunderstand me on that one Artisan. I do think that there is a valuable place for unions but I reckon that a belligerent union is an ineffective beast that only serves itself, not its members.

You've been in senior positions before, you know how it works. Confrontation is rarely if ever a sustainable solution whereas a good negotiation usually gets both parties to the place where they are both the least disappointed. A negotiation where somebody is especially happy usually means that the other party isn't and that it will all fall apart in due course.

And yes, PFI's are stupid.

We are in a very bad state now, since the change of government, and regarding PFI.

Job transfer at the place I am working presently was to be done under TUPE.

That is, the entire workforce was to transferred over enmasse to the new workplace.

This has not happened, the transfer has been done piecemeal, and others left behind to run the old place down, and fixed term contract labour, (non Union, scrabbling for work, begging to work for nothing blacklegs to be honest) brought in to fill the posts, the run down team were unable to fill, due to their duties elsewhere.

We now learn, that due to current spending cuts enforced by this Conlidem 'government' that 300 redundancies are due, as well as wage cuts, and cuts in contracts of employment, over both sites.

This is what the LibDems have foisted upon us, the traitorous turncoats.

And it will not only be here, it will everywhere, get them out pronto.

Equity does operate its own type of closed shop, you can't get an Equity card if you can't prove you have worked in the arts/entertainment field. And, it's not just for actors. My OH worked as a professional singer for many years, in big bands, and on his own in clubs and cabaret and was an Equity member for years. He's still on the retired members' list.

When work became scarce for people trying to 'keep music live' (it all started in the 60s with discoes/DJs!) he took any kind of work he could to keep the wolf from the door. In the early 90s he got occasional work as an extra in TV productions. However, much of that work was done by people who'd never been in Equity. The union didn't appear to have much clout there. :suspect:

There are plenty of unions that only recruit from specific professions... that isn't however what a closed shop means. A closed shop is where an employer only employs people that join or are in a specific union.

you think £50000 is not a decent salary? No-one can contribute enough to be worth £100000, however if a business is making billions its not really any of our business.

I never said £50,000 isn't a decent salary, but obviously £100,000 is better and whilst a high salary is hardly exceptional.

Archived