Advice on a gap year

Hi there

Ive just finished college and Im thinking/wanting to do a gap year for 6-12months. would obtain a working hol visa then I can establish photography in a different country and come home with treasured memoried im sure some of you have.

Looking through the net there are so many sites its confusing who to trust!

Can anyone give me some proper advice and point me in the right direction?

regards

Emma

x

Hi there

Ive just finished college and Im thinking/wanting to do a gap year for 6-12months. would obtain a working hol visa then I can establish photography in a different country and come home with treasured memoried im sure some of you have.

regards

Emma

x

Don't gap years last for a year and not 6-12 months? :huh::D

Hi there

A gap year between what and what?

As I understand it, a gap year usually fits between school and university. You say you've just finished college. Are you planning a gap year between Higher Education and Work, Further Education and Work or Further Education and Higher Education?

IMO; a gap year between education and work is unlikely to improve your prospects of getting a job. - Unless you can come up with something really imaginative (and altruistic).

If you've just obtained the qualification you wanted to get a job, the next move is: 'get the job'.

Guest sibon
Precisely ... but not 6 months! :)

Six months is nearly two years if you live on Mercury.

However a Mercury year is only about 1.3 Mercury days.

It's a funny old Solar System:)

well thankyou for you advice, I could go and 'get the job' believe me benifit for a living isnt me but I dont want to turn round in 30 yrs and wish Id travelled when i had the chance!

btw 12 months is a year, mentioned 6 as some companies are offering this !

Hi there

regards

Emma

x

Hi Emma - have you tried STA travel! I think its a great idea and it helps you 'find yourself' before uni - after being in education for so long it is sometimes good to get a break and sometimes the experience you get, if relevant, can certianly make you more attractive to employers!

Good luck and go for it! x

Hi emma. Good luck and I hope you have a great gap year. Mine was wasted, I just ended up working the whole time. It was my own decision and fault though so I don't have anyone else to blame, unfortunately.

Archived