Do you believe in inequality?

I think it's something that people learn to tolerate unfortunately.

Some forms of inequality are produced by personality characteristics. Unfortunate events in my personal life have forced me to conclude that some people are just unpleasant so and sos. Sometimes people can harness those chracteristics to claw their way to the top, or they can sink to the bottom.

Some inequalities are man made, whether you're straight / gay or male / female. That's based on perception of others. I think as a society we 'appear' to be less tolerant of prejudices based on these factors - based on legislation that exists. Of course I'm not so naive as to believe that laws stop unequal treatment.

I think as a society it seems that we're happy to see the rch treated like Lords and Masters and the poor can just eff off. We have all these beliefs that justify this state of affairs.

I'm interested in the mindset that claims superiority over certain people.

Even if it's a law abider claiming superiority over a serial child rapist. What makes someone superior simply because of the actions they take (or don't take) in life?

What does superior mean? Superior in ability to act in a moral way? Or in ability to conform to societal norms, or in some measurable thing?

We certainly aren't all equal, I have friends that can run faster than me and friends that run slower, friends that beat me at chess and friends that loose.

So in those specific measurable things, some are clearly superior to others.

I said 'losing' not 'lost'. There is always time to turn it around.

But let's say it's not turned around. Let's say evil does prevail. Why would that be an inferior state of being?

But let's say it's not turned around. Let's say evil does prevail. Why would that be an inferior state of being?

Because it's easy to let evil prevail. Being good is hard man! Especially when you're being wronged quite regularly. If you're going to stop struggling to be the best kind of person you can be, then I'm going to call you inferior. That's just how I feel.

Yes that appears to be a claim of superiority. What is it specifically that makes you better? Or is it something you can't quite put your finger on?

:blush: I've never thought about it as a claim of superiority before, that makes me sound awful.

Doesn't almost everyone live to a certain expectation of behaviour though, and judge slightly those that don't achieve that expectation.

good and evil are just societal norms. The only superiority you can claim from being law abiding is one of morality, which just means that you have superior ability to conform to the behaviour that society says is correct.

Because it's easy to let evil prevail. Being good is hard man! Especially when you're being wronged quite regularly. If you're going to stop struggling to be the best kind of person you can be, then I'm going to call you inferior. That's just how I feel.

Wow!! You really think it's easier to be evil than good, I must be a much better person than you then.:D

Archived