Do you believe in inequality?

Human nature dictates that we all try as hard as we can to be as close as possible to the top of the pile, the view is better and there are fewer folk trying to climb over you.

Of course inequality exists, when the person with power can deny the legitimate request of the person without power. Equality has never worked as some folk want to be more equal than others, so that just leaves us with superiority, perhaps we should bring in the Blairs at this point. ;)

So in the natural world, outside the human race there are examples of good and evil?

I don't mean that animals and plants can be evil but yes, good and evil still exist. I suppose it depends on your belief in life on other planets/ God etc.

good and evil are just societal norms. The only superiority you can claim from being law abiding is one of morality, which just means that you have superior ability to conform to the behaviour that society says is correct.

If morality and virtues are self contained in this way, then could there be any legitimate claims that someone is superior to that very system? I.e. you could claim superiority because you understand that morals are a mere product of an ever changing consensus reality limited by the constraints of human consciousness. Therefore you become an amoral nihilist, and simply conform to the impulse of your desires with a smug look on your face.

If morality and virtues are self contained in this way, then could there be any legitimate claims that someone is superior to that very system? I.e. you could claim superiority because you understand that morals are a mere product of an ever changing consensus reality limited by the constraints of human consciousness? Therefore you become an amoral nihilist, and simply conform to the impulse of your desires.

That is why I don't believe that 'society' has any bearing over good and evil. 'Society' is simply a self-contained social network, without which essential morality still exists.

I don't mean that animals and plants can be evil but yes, good and evil still exist. I suppose it depends on your belief in life on other planets/ God etc.

If there was no life anywhere, what would be the reference point against which acts of good and evil could be judged? Or from the perspective of a completely impartial outside observer, who could see the universe for what it is - matter and energy - what would be the noticeable difference between good and evil in the grand scheme of things?

If there was no life anywhere, what would be the reference point against which acts of good and evil could be judged? Or from the perspective of a completely impartial outside observer, who could see the universe for what it is - matter and energy - what would be the noticeable difference between good and evil in the grand scheme of things?

If you believe there is no God and if there is no-one in existence anywhere who is capable of being one or the other, then in that case I guess it wouldn't exist.

If you believe there is no God and if there is no-one in existence anywhere who is capable of being one or the other, then in that case I guess it wouldn't exist.

Excellent.

Mods you can close this thread now.

Archived