Do you believe in inequality?

A flawed and out of date one, but yes it is.

It doesn't help to refer to it though. Passing a law doesn't alter morality, it's the other way around. So what you meant to say was that if everyone felt that it was okay to beat your wife, that doesn't mean that it would be okay to beat your wife.

Clearly though, if everyone felt that, then it would be okay. You only say it wouldn't be okay from the moral point of view that you currently occupy.

But don't you ever ask yourself WHY we all feel that certain things are wrong? We humans are a disagreeable bunch. As you can see from this forum, we will argue about anything and everything... how come on certain subjects we will all agree to it being wrong?

Not just that is it? Why is it illegal to rape someone?>>> because it is seen as being immoral.

What about spousal rape?

That didn't use to be illegal, it used to be perfectly fine to rape your wife (or husband).

Does that mean it used to be morally ok?

What about spousal rape?

That didn't use to be illegal, it used to be perfectly fine to rape your wife (or husband).

Does that mean it used to be morally ok?

There are still some people who believe rape within a marriage is a paradox. That's just an example on a sliding scale of right and wrong, good and evil. We all have our opinions on where every action in existence should be on that scale BUT there is no denying that the scale exists.

Whether based on gender, race, creed or even intelligence. Any criteria.

Are there people on here willing to admit they believe certain types of people should be considered superior?

A controversial subject matter I know, but it's important that people feel comfortable expressing their views and I'm genuinely interested in such views.

What makes a certain group superior to another?

As long as I'm on the winning side of it yes.

But don't you ever ask yourself WHY we all feel that certain things are wrong?
Yes, and the most likelyu answer in my opinion is due to cultural pressures.
We humans are a disagreeable bunch. As you can see from this forum, we will argue about anything and everything... how come on certain subjects we will all agree to it being wrong?
We don't. There are some people (who we would no doubt call evil) who think that any number of acts that you and I consider unspeakable to be fine.

Who's to say that we're right and they're wrong?

Another great example is paedophilia, throughout history, across the entire world, people have been having sex with children and didn't consider it to be morally wrong.

Does that mean it didn't used to be morally wrong or has it always been morally wrong?

There are still some people who believe rape within a marriage is a paradox. That's just an example on a sliding scale of right and wrong, good and evil. We all have our opinions on where every action in existence should be on that scale BUT there is no denying that the scale exists.

That's not a scale to me, to me on the issue of rape there is a very clear line: consent.

Of course I deny that an absolute moral scale exists, that is ridiculous. Where is your proof?

Yes, and the most likelyu answer in my opinion is due to cultural pressures.

I don't think so. Many people have rebelled against culture. We have something inside (the soul I believe) which causes us to be aware of what is good and evil.

We don't. There are some people (who we would no doubt call evil) who think that any number of acts that you and I consider unspeakable to be fine.

Who's to say that we're right and they're wrong?

Another great example is paedophilia, throughout history, across the entire world, people have been having sex with children and didn't consider it to be morally wrong.

Does that mean it didn't used to be morally wrong or has it always been morally wrong?

Across the entire world, what is the youngest age accepted by any one nation? That is another example of the sliding scale, yet I think we would all agree that raping a baby is evil, would we not?

That's not a scale to me, to me on the issue of rape there is a very clear line: consent.

Of course I deny that an absolute moral scale exists, that is ridiculous. Where is your proof?

So you do not believe that some people are evil then? If it is only 'cultural pressure' that causes us to know what is good and evil, then how can any one person actually BE evil, it wouldn't be possible according to that reasoning.

Archived