Walkley Trams

Scarrott

The last tram ran in 1956 from Walkley Tram Terminus from where trams ran to the town centre. The rails were not lifted, they were simply covered over later, possibly several years later in fact. I lived in Walkley in the 80's when they uncovered some tram tracks after digging up the road.

This video has some footage of Walkley trams in op:

http://films.kelkoo.co.uk/browse/b/150101/ps_OV490.html

You're a star. Thanks for that! :)

If anyone else has any information about the history of walkley i would be very grateful to hear it. The book is almost complete but we can still add any new info we receive, however small. We would even give a credit!

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I for one would be very interested in a copy of a book dedicated to Walkley.

I lived on Providence Road for 29 years until I moved to a village in Lancashire in 1977.

Most of Walkley in my early years are distant memories, I have very little in the way of Photo's as I was only young.

I have lots of where I lived as my Father had a very large garden which was more like a farm as he had Pigs, chickens, rabbits and even a goat.

I do remember the Palladium as I went there twice a week also all the well known shops have gone.

Regards John.M

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Scarrott

Does anyone have any information about when the tramlines to Walkley were removed. We are currently in production of a book about the history of Walkley and any information about this would be greatfully received.

Ta

Here is a photo of Walkley Tram Terminus circa 1900:

Walkley Tram Terminus 1900

• 11 months later...

Archived