Walkley Trams

Scarrott

Guest poppins

My sister in sheffield has a large painting in her home of a walkley tram on south rd, the trams making it's way up the hill, comming from weston park, it's a great picture.

I remember Barber Road being dug up to insert a sewer, gosh, when? ten years ago I reckon and the tram line was exposed in the process. This was at the junction of Bower Road and you can see where the road was relaid, it still looks quite new.

Unfortunately, the engineers cut through the line in order to insert the new sewage pipe which I thought was sad. I find there's a strange romance in those old tram lines still lying buried beneath the road.

Guest poppins
Originally posted by Ousetunes

Unfortunately, the engineers cut through the line in order to insert the new sewage pipe which I thought was sad. I find there's a strange romance in those old tram lines still lying buried beneath the road. [/b]

NOW i feel old, i remember riding on the walkley tram like it was yesterday, i would get on at the end of south rd comming from my grams then jump off at winter st hospital to go see my dad.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know when they were removed, but my grandfather was the foreman in charge of laying the tram lines, ineither crookes or walkleyI have a newspaper clipping of it somewhere

Originally posted by Scarrott

Does anyone have any information about when the tramlines to Walkley were removed. We are currently in production of a book about the history of Walkley and any information about this would be greatfully received.

Ta

Originally posted by all4_ofus

yes the paladium was next to the library, my sister and I used to go there at least once a week

The Palladium was at the bottom of Highton Street, where the Netto supermarket is now. The Walkley Library is at the end of South Road on the corner of Walkley Road

Archived