Are you allowed to put up a garden shed in your front garden?

Aww you didn't quote me in full.

I called you a jobsworth and I stand by that. You are typical of a busy body who has got nothing better to do.

Whether I am or not is still irrelevant to the illegality, or not, of garden sheds in front gardens. Hence my not bothering to quote it.

Yes it is! Things which are illegal are still illegal whether they cause a problem to anybody else or not.

god help anyone that dies in the houses of parliment then!

some laws are pointless specialy when it doesn't effect anyone, now fair enough it could be blocking alot of the neighbours view from the front or something but to advice to report it just for the sake of doing so is well OTT

i own my house and the land it sits on and if i wanted to put a shed on the front of my house id like think id be able to if it didnt need planning permission i wouldnt see it as a problem or that it would upset anyone i mean its my private property and as long as im not hurting anyone i would do it and i cant see a shed causing my neighbours pain, suffering or discomfort.

its odd but thats all i can see thats wrong with it.

maybe the person in question already has one round the back and hasnt room for it there so they chose to use their front garden?

...but to advice to report it just for the sake of doing so is well OTT

You don't report an offence for the sake of doing so. You report it because it's an offence.

(That's a general rule. I still don't know whether erecting a shed in a front garden is an offence or not. It would never have occurred to me that planning permission applied to sheds.)

i own my house and the land it sits on and if i wanted to put a shed on the front of my house id like think id be able to if it didnt need planning permission i wouldnt see it as a problem or that it would upset anyone i mean its my private property and as long as im not hurting anyone i would do it and i cant see a shed causing my neighbours pain, suffering or discomfort.

its odd but thats all i can see thats wrong with it.

maybe the person in question already has one round the back and hasnt room for it there so they chose to use their front garden?

i thought maybe for a motorbike or even pedal bike, who knows. they abviously have there reasons though :)

Guest sibon
i thought maybe for a motorbike or even pedal bike, who knows. they abviously have there reasons though :)

And the law has a reason too.

Building in a front garden can damage the aesthetic aspect of a street. The shed builder could either put the shed out of sight in the back garden, or move to a more appropriate property.

Some people can't see past their own nose end.

Given the size of the average garden in the UK, the most common smaller garden buildings such as sheds, greenhouses and summerhouses don’t require planning permission. However, this isn’t set in stone, as regulations can vary between district and borough councils. Local by-laws may apply, and in some cases there may be strict planning regulations for buildings and structures that exceed 10 cubic metres in volume. This is likely the case if you live within a Conservation Area, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, The Broads or a National Park. Listed buildings will also have restrictions in place, so that any buildings or structures on the land will be subject to planning permission if the proposed building is again over 10 cubic metres in volume.

And a different source -

Structures such as a greenhouse or a small shed are classed as ‘permitted development' and do not need permission, and changes a patio or porch also tend to be unrestricted. To be on the safe side check your deeds, which may show that there are some special restrictions.

Not sure about the illegal aspect of erecting a small garden shed on your own property but looks to me like you do not need permission.

And the law has a reason too.

Building in a front garden can damage the aesthetic aspect of a street. The shed builder could either put the shed out of sight in the back garden, or move to a more appropriate property.

Some people can't see past their own nose end.

well im still awaiting a viable link to a post proving that it is illegal untill then i stick to my opinion, if someones only dislike to it was that they didn't like the look of it well dont look then! i think over-grown hedges and jungles of front gardens are offensive on the eye but i wouldn't see fit to report them for being damaging to the aesthetic aspect of a street.

Guest sibon
well im still awaiting a viable link to a post proving that it is illegal untill then i stick to my opinion, if someones only dislike to it was that they didn't like the look of it well dont look then! i think over-grown hedges and jungles of front gardens are offensive on the eye but i wouldn't see fit to report them for being damaging to the aesthetic aspect of a street.

I agree. They do tend to get challenged though, when people complain.

I've no idea of the legality of buiding a shed in a front garden either, but I can see why it might not be allowed.

I have only just signed up to this forum, but I have been watching it for yonks.

Posters such as headingnorth, banana split and co have always given me the giggles. They post with such authority while having no real clue what they are talking about, then a huge barny breaks out! hehe haha!

Anyway. A shed is classed as a temporary building and does not require planning permission. Thanks for the entertainment guys. hoho!

Archived