What do body building supplements actually do?

Supplements ( not steroids!!) are nothing magical, they are to be taken as well as not instead of normal food. They are a way of taking on extra calories when you need to. It's not just body builders that use them, they are suitable for all sports people. Protein or protein and carb shakes are a quick and easy way to re-fuel after a workout. However,if you have a good healthy diet and eat at regular intervals, you shouldn't need them.

They are what they say on the tin, supplements. Designed to supplement your (good) diet with whatever you're looking for dependent on your needs.

For someone looking to start bodybuilding it's best to get your diet right first before experimenting with too many supplements as your diet is much more important. If you get to the stage where you're building muscle but feel like you cant get enough protein from your diet without taking on too much fat for instance you can look into the different types of protein supplements and go from there. If wanting to put muscle on you want to be eating up to 2 grams of protein per kilo you weigh, any more and you'll likely be eating quite a bit more fat than you need depending on how lean the protein sources in your diet are.

Dont believe all the marketing surrounding them and even when they quote peer reviewed research papers they've generally sponsored the research etc.

Supplements are massively important in pro sports but as an amateur bodybuilder you're best leaving them until you're fine tuning your diet and workouts and really need them to progress any further.

Until you get to a serious level, you just want a protein supplement. Maximuscle's Promax or Cyclone are both good, but a little expensive.

Most other types of supplement have dubious research and marketing, and need a degree in chemistry to use properly. A good quality protein supplement is where to start,

• 1 year later...

Unless your regular diet & training programme is good, you're wasting your money on supplements There's an article on our website " The truth about supplements", you may find this helpful.

We've been in this industry donkeys years, sold supplements and also lectured at Sheffield Hallam Uni on the subject. We've also done diets/ nutritional plans & training programmes for several successful natural bodybuilders and sportsmen so I think you can safely say we know what we're talking about.

They are certainly not miracle drugs but I think it's wrong to head straight to the other end of the spectrum and denounce them as useless marketing gimics. Whey protein does do something. Creatine does do something. But as people have already said on here, unless your workout and diet are right they are pretty useless

I play football and use the gym about 5 times a week, I have found that protien shakes in paticular help me recover twice as fast as not taking them, the quicker you have a shake after high intensity excercise, the better you feel the next day. When I did not use protien it took me two days to recover, now I am generally ok the next day. When I run out and miss a couple I really feel the difference. I once tried creotine, but that made me quite ill as I could not always keep up with the big water intake that is needed. I recently also discovered an energy supplement called 'high5' which comes in powder form and delivers carbs to your muscles faster than regular Isotonic formulas, again the difference has been great and really pushes me on during games.

Archived