Life Modelling. How to get started?

A few years ago I did some life modelling in London. I answered an advert and did 5 sessions in total. 4 for a small amateur art group in a private house and 1 for a photographer. I have now lost contact with them and I have tried to start again but I am in a catch 22 situation in that I can't get work without references and I can't get references without work.

I recently was unsuccesful for a life modelling job at a college because of alack of suitable references. Well that is what I was told!

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. I feel I need to do some amateur work first, that would provide references and then move on to art schools etc.

PS this work is not as easy as people may think

• 1 year later...
I just give up I really do! I can't believe the immaturity

Believe it john.....it was just like that when I did it back in the 70's.(Nothing changes):roll: Certain people thought I was one step away from the Town Hall steps although that couldn't have been further away from the truth.

I was appreciated by the students then. They always thanked me at the end of a session, came between me and anyone walking into the room that shouldn't have been there and treated me with more respect than I've experienced in many other jobs.

I was at Rotherham College of Art, but don't know if that is still in operation. I did have to share the dressing room with a skeleton though but he was no problem.....;) Good luck.:thumbsup:

What's the going rate for a life model nowadays if you don't mind my asking? I seem to remember from somewhere in the back of my mind about a load of French life models going on strike for higher pay due to poor wages (maybe 5 years ago?)

Personally, I reckon it should be well paid as, as the OP states, it's not as easy as it looks.

What's the going rate for a life model nowadays if you don't mind my asking? I seem to remember from somewhere in the back of my mind about a load of French life models going on strike for higher pay due to poor wages (maybe 5 years ago?)

Personally, I reckon it should be well paid as, as the OP states, it's not as easy as it looks.

It's not a good wage. My art class had been speculating on what our model was being paid per hour. We decided it must be around £18. In reality it was just over £6.

Thank you Joan and Halibut, some sense/maturity in the thread. As I originally said I did some in London a few years ago and I agree with all that Joan said, although I never had anyone extra walk in the room. The student respect was perfect. The best thing however is the concentration from the students I have never experinced anything like it in any other walk of life. It is very powerful, for the whole session you would hear nothing but the pencil on the paper (and the teacher at times of course). As for pay no it is not great, having made some enquiries it appears now to be about £8 clothed and £10 unclothed.

Archived