40% cuts to Councils-How does this affect outsourced services?

The principle does not remain the same at all.

Of course it does, if Local Government isn't to take the brunt of these cuts then where are they going to come.

If it is, then how can it achieve this when it has already outsourced a lot of the services.

As it says in the advert: 'Just do it.'

If it possible to do it then that would imply that the initial objective of outsourcing hasn't been met as they haven't been "doing it".

And everybody keeps telling me the Private Sector is more efficient than the Public Sector.

Efficiency is not the only factor which will be considered. Under Labour, the government pretended it had loads of money and public expenditure was increased to include things that were 'nice to have' (and possibility to provide jobs for the [mainly labour?] voters.

Labour have been rumbled. The country does not have lots of money, it has huge amounts of debt, significant interest payments on that debt and seemingly little chance of increasing output (in the near future) to stop the borrowing - let alone pay off the debt.

The coalition have decided that they will reduce the debt by increasing taxes and by reducing government spending.

They have said that reducing government spending will be painful. I think we're going to find that the pain will not only be borne by those who lose their jobs, but also by the rest who lose 'nice to have' services and find that government spending is concentrated on 'need to have.'

Of course it does, if Local Government isn't to take the brunt of these cuts then where are they going to come.

If it is, then how can it achieve this when it has already outsourced a lot of the services.

There are loads of places that the cuts could come from. Any department that is not spending the same as last year is making cuts.

If it has outsourced these services then the money might have been paid upfront so it won't matter and cuts won't have to be made

Education comes under Local Authority funding, I thought HMRC and the Tax Office was the same department and I'm sure that cuts to the Agriculture Department won't get the deficit down.

There isn't an 'Agriculture department', it's DEFRA. Their annual budget is around £3 billion.

• 3 weeks later...

The Council (ie members and Exec Directors) are more concerned in getting the something vaguely resembling the work done for less money.

To win the contract companies have to show how they will cut costs over the period of the contract. This means cut staff, that's why the companies start laying people TUPE'd over pretty soon after transfer.

Unison told us the other month

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread given that we've had details of the cuts to be directed towards Local Councils.

As many services in Sheffield are outsourced I would have expected some immunity/leniency towards us in these cuts, but to date no evidence of this has been forthcoming.

So does anyone know what the Council intend doing with those companies who are carrying out the work on our behalf, will/should we be looking at reducing what we are paying them given that our money from Central Government has been scaled back.

If not, then how are the COuncil going to make the savings?

I thought I'd resurrect this thread given that we've had details of the cuts to be directed towards Local Councils.

As many services in Sheffield are outsourced I would have expected some immunity/leniency towards us in these cuts, but to date no evidence of this has been forthcoming.

So does anyone know what the Council intend doing with those companies who are carrying out the work on our behalf, will/should we be looking at reducing what we are paying them given that our money from Central Government has been scaled back.

If not, then how are the COuncil going to make the savings?

I do. I could tell you but i'd have to kill you! ;)

Archived