Why is my freesat box losing channels?

I currently have a rather "Heath Robinson" freesat setup at home, courtesy of the satellite dish the previous occupants left behind, connected up to a old Sky digibox(complete with card) which I bought 2nd hand for £20. All worked fine until a few months ago when several channels - including ITV Yorkshire and Channel 5 - were no longer accessible. All I got was a blank screen an a message saying either "this channel is not available" or "you need a new Sky viewing card".

Now I'm a bit baffled by this as the whole selling point of Freesat is that it's free and there's no monthly contract. Why do I suddenly have to buy a new viweing card from Sky? Or do I need to buy a new viewing card at all to get channels which are supposed to be free anyway?

Any ideas?

This happened to mine a few months back. I googled it and thought I needed a new card, but, as I subscribe to my sky downstairs I got a new card sent free.

You may need to pay for a new card I'm afraid - but it's relatively cheap, about £10 I think. You will then be able to view all the freeview channels in full again.

You may be eligible for a new card - see here - unfortunately, they have changed their encryption algorithms so a new card will be required to continue watching.

edit: reading your post, if you bought the card+digibox at the same time, second hand, i'm afraid you'll need a new card.

Archived