Does anyone know anything about washing machines?

Mine has decided to stop working rather suddenly, its 6 years old and an hoover, it just tripped the electric out at the start of a hot wash, now when I turn it on it just trips out the electric, we have changed the fuse in the plug, any ideas?

Mine has decided to stop working rather suddenly, its 6 years old and an hoover, it just tripped the electric out at the start of a hot wash, now when I turn it on it just trips out the electric, we have changed the fuse in the plug, any ideas?

Sounds like the heating element has shorted...could be wrong though. Switch it off and leave it of.

Thanks for the reply, do you know if that can be mended please? or is it time for a new one? :(

The element (if it is that) can usually be replaced easily. It really needs to be tested before replacing. Pump motor or washer motor may also have shorted due to worn brushes or armature.

The element (if it is that) can usually be replaced easily. It really needs to be tested before replacing. Pump motor or washer motor may also have shorted due to worn brushes or armature.

That sounds better than I expected then, I will contact someone to take a look tomorrow, thanks very much :)

Ey up moony, You can change the heating element, Silver priced one up for our old one for about £20, but what if you pay the £20 to find that its not the heater element thats at fault? If you do decide to go for a new one, this place is good HERE, got my fridge/freezer, washer and dryer from here, wasnt expensive :)

Ey up moony, You can change the heating element, Silver priced one up for our old one for about £20, but what if you pay the £20 to find that its not the heater element thats at fault? If you do decide to go for a new one, this place is good HERE, got my fridge/freezer, washer and dryer from here, wasnt expensive :)

Thanks Whitewitch, its annoying the parts are often really cheap if you can fit them yourself, but like you say if its not that I will have wasted another 20 quid grr :(

Thanks for the link to the shop I really hope it doesn't come to that as I am particularly skint :rolleyes:

<<<suddenly, its 6 years old>>>

Then it's had a good life and now needs replacing. Repairs to this age of machine a false economy.

:huh:Why is it suddenly 6yrs old? It could last a lifetime if it was regularly looked after.

If it cost £50 to repair against £300 to replace how is that false economy? The OP may not be able to afford a new one. IMO the new stuff is far inferior to the older machines unless you spend lots of money.

If it is tripping out immediately when the start button is pressed then it could be the electronic control panel (if this model has one) or associated components and wiring. The next probability is the motor but this is usually switched on a few seconds after the on button is pressed. The heating element is less likely as this is switched on later in the cycle.

Archived