Does anyone remember the Sheiks?

I remember the Indian pedlars. I doubt they were sheikhs but our one never gave out ivory scarabs either. He used to come round once or twice a year, similarly the French onion seller and the knive sharpening man, and the gypsies selling the flowers made from wood shavings and privet twig. Why was life in the 50s so much more varied and interesting than it is today?

I used to love standing at my mother's side when he opened the big leather suitcase on the back step ... it was full of pretty things ... mmmm, shiny!! No socks!

I think there's an old thread about it somewhere in the archives.

Now, before anyone starts a thread about pc'ism, this was in the 1950's when we all said what we thought and, bear in mind, we were all naive having never seen anyone other than Sheffielders. In the terraced yards where we lived people used to say, "The Arabs are here, get inside". This was a signal for everyone to go indoors and not answer the door as these "turban-headed" chaps were quite ruthless in their selling tactics to lone mums.

They had suitcases full of really gawdy coloured nighties/socks/blouses etc. in bright luminous colours such as pink, lime greeen, yellow just like the Teddy Boy socks of the era.

I remember a salesman coming to our door with a suitcase full of trantlements, I can't remember the name of the company, but they sold things like kitchen paraphernalia (trantlements) one thing I particularly remember was a leaf shaped thiong that was in cream plastic. I think it was a pot rest or something.

I remember a salesman coming to our door with a suitcase full of trantlements, I can't remember the name of the company, but they sold things like kitchen paraphernalia (trantlements) one thing I particularly remember was a leaf shaped thiong that was in cream plastic. I think it was a pot rest or something.
would that be thing or thong pt?:hihi:

Archived