Parents, have your kids got a laser pointer?

My kids haven't and never will have, same as I do not allow toy guns in my house either. My son whom is 8 came home with a pretend pocket knife thing, that got binned. Cant stand anything like that after my uncle gary got stabbed to death on his doorstep in front of his 6 kids.

It was a awful waist of a life and all down to case of mistaken identity.The guy that did it thought it was his friend leaving the house not my uncle. :0(

These are deemed a component of a firearm in Ireland (as a target designator, as seen in innumerable cop shows).

So, illegal to have/use/display in public/etc. (at least according to my interpretation of relevant Irish Statutes back in 2007, and corresponding opinion delivered to the Irish Airsoft Association in connection with Airsoft 'gear' - I doubt they changed their minds since or obtained a dissenting opinion, but they could have).

Just amend the UK's VCRA to include them and hey presto, job done, they will be dealt with by Law Enforcement in the same manner as non-VCRA-compliant possession of RIFs (realistic imitation firearms).

The laser pointer is really dangerous,it can blind people's eyes in seconds.

Yup. I have a circular saw which could take your hand off in less than a second. I have a drill which could make a hole right through your skull (or any other bit of you.) I have an angle-grinder which would also make a real mess.

And I have a spirit level with a laser pointer in it. - It allows me to cast a light from one surface to exactly the same height above ground on another surface.

All of the above items are 'tools'.

Tools are, by their very nature, often dangerous.

I wouldn't let a young child play with a tool and I would (and did) keep my more dangerous tools out of my son's reach when he was a child.

These are deemed a component of a firearm in Ireland (as a target designator, as seen in innumerable cop shows).

So, illegal to have/use/display in public/etc. (at least according to my interpretation of relevant Irish Statutes back in 2007, and corresponding opinion delivered to the Irish Airsoft Association in connection with Airsoft 'gear' - I doubt they changed their minds since or obtained a dissenting opinion, but they could have).

Just amend the UK's VCRA to include them and hey presto, job done, they will be dealt with by Law Enforcement in the same manner as non-VCRA-compliant possession of RIFs (realistic imitation firearms).

That is indeed one way of banning them - Though (IMO) it's a silly way.

Laser designators are indeed a part of targetting systems - both the little red dot kind and the type used with Laser-Guided bombs.

Are people permitted to possess and use CD and DVD players in Ireland? They too have a Class B laser. And that laser is quite powerful enough to cause irreparable eye damage.

What about mice? Are they (like snakes) prohibited in Ireland? Does your computer have a wireless optical mouse? Or have you upgraded to a laser mouse? (Far more precise ... and they'll burn your eyes out if you look at them.)

Archived