Should we have more teachers and fewer teaching assistants

I am sure that this will affect many people, but this report highlights the situation that we are in when on some occasions teaching assistants are put in the responsible position of teaching a class of children.

Just got this through from Children and Young People.

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/bulletins/Daily-Bulletin/news/1014207/?DCMP=EMC-

What do people think about this?

Constructive comments are appreciated.

An alternative view here from The Independant

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/gove-cuts-to-end-training-for-teaching-assistants-2019180.html

No, I think we should have more teachers and MORE teaching assistants, especially if class sizes can't be reduced.

The problem isn't the number of teachers most of the time, it's department and school heads choosing the cheaper option of not covering sick leave with a proper teacher that's the issue and which needs addressing.

...The problem isn't the number of teachers most of the time, it's department and school heads choosing the cheaper option of not covering sick leave with a proper teacher that's the issue and which needs addressing.

In some areas, the availability of supply teachers is very limited. I have a friend who worked as a supply teacher in Norfolk until a few years ago. She said she was often offered 10 days work per week.

I think we should have more PERMANENT teachers.. My daughter has had 3 teachers up to now and the last one's just left. They are now sharing the responsiblilty out between 4 teachers on a rota until the end of the term. Not good for the kids I'm afraid. In fact, the teaching assistants have been the only permanent fixture!

I think we should have more PERMANENT teachers.. My daughter has had 3 teachers up to now and the last one's just left. They are now sharing the responsiblilty out between 4 teachers on a rota until the end of the term. Not good for the kids I'm afraid. In fact, the teaching assistants have been the only permanent fixture!

This is going to be a major problem in the future if the number of teaching assistants are reduced. Teaching staff will have an even greater workload and are likely to not hang around for very long when they realise exactly what their job entails.

Teaching is a vocation. It's not something you can switch yourself off from at the end of the day. It's with you incessantly and eats into a large part of your social and private lives. People need to understand all this before they even consider going into teaching.

No, I think we should have more teachers and MORE teaching assistants, especially if class sizes can't be reduced.

The problem isn't the number of teachers most of the time, it's department and school heads choosing the cheaper option of not covering sick leave with a proper teacher that's the issue and which needs addressing.

But I guess if there isn't the budget for both what would be best?

I guess what needs to be looked at is what is exactly taught when someone signs up for a teacher training course.

Could any of what is taught be reduced or compressed in to a shorter time, to enable more teachers to be pushed through to be qualified quicker?

I'm a teaching assistant. I cover classes and work with children one to one. I got into childcare because I wanted to be a teacher, but seeing first hand how much paper work and other responsibilites comes with the job these days it completely put me off. We do need more qualified Teaching Assistants in class. They can support the children within small groups or on a one to one basis. I'd love to be a teacher, but all the recording learning evidence, documenting it and having other school responsibilties too just puts me off.

I guess what needs to be looked at is what is exactly taught when someone signs up for a teacher training course.

Could any of what is taught be reduced or compressed in to a shorter time, to enable more teachers to be pushed through to be qualified quicker?

It depends on whether we want a higher quality education or a lower quality one.

Personally I'd like to see a system based on the Finnish model but for that to happen in this country there would need to be a complete cultural change in attitude towards education from everybody concerned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4073753.stm

1.Teachers will only remain permenant if they feel valued - hence supply teachers 'cos teachers are treated like crap by the schools and more often parents.

2.To achieve some level of progression and advancement, good teachers are actually removed from frontline duties and sent on courses, or given "frees" to compensate for extra curricular work.Again removing teachers from frontline service to the pupils.

3.To actually do more within education teachers do less with the pupils.

My daughter earns more than me - in just her 3rd year of teaching. I have a B.ed in Maths but wouldn't be caught dead back in a classroom.

Archived