Witches and clairvoyants- MEGATHREAD

What makes you think they don't exist? Is the term "Witch" not just a position that someone holds within their beliefs? ... You seem to be associating "witch" with some kind of supernatural beings from folklore.

I take your point - but it IS primarily a concept from folklore, and it is not possible to be one in reality. I'd say that claims, or allegations, of magical or supernatural ability are an intrinsic part of the term 'witch'. Even modern witchcraft is bound up in the terminology of magic and spellcasting (even if not all 'witches' believe in these things literally).

Since I don't believe any such powers exist, then, for me, anyone claiming to be a witch is not in fact one.

I appreciate that there are plenty of people who might call themselves witches, and many that might believe themselves genuinely to be witches, but unless they can substantiate their claims of supernatural power then in reality they are not witches. They are just people pretending to be witches.

Do you think that priests don't exist? How about the term "Wizard", which is used in several organisations.

Wizards likewise. It's a concept from folklore, and not possible to be one in reality. I know some organisations use it as a title (in some cases precisely to convey an aura of unnatural power onto the recipient), but they are not generally claiming to be actual wizards with actual magical powers (as many witches claim).

Priests are slightly different in that they are primarily defined by pastoral care and interpretation of scriptures. These are things that can be done regardless of whether any particular deity actually exists. So I'm happy to accept that priests DO exist.

I certainly don't believe that Prophets exist - in the sense of people with real messages from a real god. There are only people who call themselves prophets.

I take your point - but it IS primarily a concept from folklore, and it is not possible to be one in reality. I'd say that claims, or allegations, of magical or supernatural ability are an intrinsic part of the term 'witch'. Even modern witchcraft is bound up in the terminology of magic and spellcasting (even if not all 'witches' believe in these things literally).

Since I don't believe any such powers exist, then, for me, anyone claiming to be a witch is not in fact one.

I appreciate that there are plenty of people who might call themselves witches, and many that might believe themselves genuinely to be witches, but unless they can substantiate their claims of supernatural power then in reality they are not witches. They are just people pretending to be witches.

Wizards likewise. It's a concept from folklore, and not possible to be one in reality. I know some organisations use it as a title (in some cases precisely to convey an aura of unnatural power onto the recipient), but they are not generally claiming to be actual wizards with actual magical powers (as many witches claim).

Priests are slightly different in that they are primarily defined by pastoral care and interpretation of scriptures. These are things that can be done regardless of whether any particular deity actually exists. So I'm happy to accept that priests DO exist.

I certainly don't believe that Prophets exist - in the sense of people with real messages from a real god. There are only people who call themselves prophets.

Is there (and this is a genuine question not a 'ahem' take as I genuinly don't know) a body of scripture that sets out 'what' exactly a witch is or does.

From the perspective of my (and most other) religions you can trace back the practices/definitions to source (whether that source is 'genuine', ie, in the case of the Abrahamic faiths the word, or representation of God is another matter). Is there a body of scripture that lays out something like the tennats of faith for witches or is it a case of picking and choosing what appeals from various sources?

Is there (and this is a genuine question not a 'ahem' take as I genuinly don't know) a body of scripture that sets out 'what' exactly a witch is or does.

From the perspective of my (and most other) religions you can trace back the practices/definitions to source (whether that source is 'genuine', ie, in the case of the Abrahamic faiths the word, or representation of God is another matter). Is there a body of scripture that lays out something like the tennats of faith for witches or is it a case of picking and choosing what appeals from various sources?

I think there are many competing traditions of 'witchcraft' around the world. Some are self-defined by the practioners, while others are defined by the wider society and imposed upon an unfortunate person that society has deemed to be a witch - eg witch trials, etc.

A lot of current 'Wicca' is based on the writings of Gerald Gardner in the 1950s and 60s, which itself is partially based on Aleister Crowley's earlier occultism. These are probably the best places to look for any 'official' doctrines.

The theme that runs through all these conceptions of witchcraft is some form of magic and spellcasting (although each tradition has other elements too - it's own theology, healing practices, etc).

This is for me why the concept of the supernatural, through magic and spells, is central to any definition of witchcraft, and why, if these supernatural powers do not actually exist, there can be no such thing as a 'real witch' - only various varietes of pretenders.

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that you wouldn't be able to just find one and join one. They are very secretive in where they have their meetings, what they do, and how they do it. And you would have to be invited...I wouldn't bother even thinking about getting involved in that sort of malarky.

• 1 month later...

Archived