Would you let your children cycle to school?

Should under 10's make the school trip unsupervised?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should under 10's make the school trip unsupervised?

• Yes
    • Yes, but only in quiet locations
    • Not under any circumstances

It completely depends on individual circumstances.

My son is 7, Our walk to school involves him crossing three side roads. These roads are congested with parked cars, and lots of parents turning into them more intent on looking for the nearest space than looking out for pedestrians. Until my son has the cognitive development to cope with the situation, he won't be allowed to go to school by himself.

A friend of his has no roads to cross until he gets to the main road, where there's a lollypop lady on a zebra crossing. He goes to school by himself, and its clearly safe for him to do so.

It would be safer for all the children to make their own way to school if all the children make their own way to school. While the majority come by car, and many of them think nothing of parking across pavements so as not to obstruct other car drivers, then it isn't safe for children to ride to school on bikes to many schools.

I am happy that my youngest child walks to school every day (the other two have too far to travel) but wouldn't want her to regularly go by bike until the car problem is fixed.

Yes the school and other parents should butt out, the parents know if the children are responsible enough to cycle to school or not.

There are no more dangers now than ever. In fact I'm sure I read that road accidents are significantly less nowadays for children :confused:

Road accidents , maybe not. However, making the trip myself by foot with my child, I am witness to a great many dangers. For example, as someone has already said, the amount of parked cars around an area makes it difficult for children to cross some roads safely. My child would also have to cross an extremely busy road, where the crossing warden is hit and miss at best. I wouldn't think of sending her across that road without a warden, too many fatal accidents have happened on it.

Another example is (and this is probably very much dependant on where you live) the amount of, lets say 'shady' characters that mooch around, doing God knows what. I've been out at 8.30am and frequently seen a couple of dodgy characters nursing their cans of Special Brew.

I'm not saying that someone who does send a young child to school on their own is wrong, it is completely their right to do so. However, in my particular circumstances it is out of the question.

Yes the school and other parents should butt out, the parents know if the children are responsible enough to cycle to school or not.

There are no more dangers now than ever. In fact I'm sure I read that road accidents are significantly less nowadays for children :confused:

Not road accidents, there is a higher risk, down to higher volumes of traffic and congestion. - the liklihood surviving road accidents has increased albiet often with serious life altering disabilities.

The risk from paedophiles etc is thought to have remained constant dspite a general belief that there has been an increase.

I couldn't send my children to school on thir own at these ages, the worlds just a very different place than what it used to be when I made the journey alone. My sister (who is 2 years my elder) used to be responsible for me and it was the 'norm' then. No where near as many concerns as there is now.

Could I ask what those increased concerns are barbiegirl?

Ps: Oops, just seen your subsequent post!

I couldn't send my children to school on thir own at these ages, the worlds just a very different place than what it used to be when I made the journey alone. My sister (who is 2 years my elder) used to be responsible for me and it was the 'norm' then. No where near as many concerns as there is now.

I totally agree. The issue is not solely one of riding safely to school , ie on the pavement's and crossing with a lollipop lady. It is one of child safety. If one of the children were snatched what would the parents say then. How would the other child feel ?. It would ruin their life forever. London is not a place for children to walk to school on thier own at that age. Its bad enough letting them out on their own at 11 years to go to school. So i think the parents are totally irresponsible and it shouldn't be allowed.

Alleyn's Junior School in Dulwich, south east London, are said to think the practice is irresponsible and dangerous....QUOTE]

I know Alleyn's School well. I can't think of anywhere around there which is quiet; it is near Herne Hill.

I totally agree. The issue is not solely one of riding safely to school , ie on the pavement's and crossing with a lollipop lady. It is one of child safety. If one of the children were snatched what would the parents say then.

I believe it's almost entirely an issue about road safety, if you're worried about your children being 'snatched', then they shouldn't be let out in rain, because there's as much chance of them being struck by lightening.

I completely agree that it is the parents responsibility to decide whether the older child is sensible enough to supervise the younger one. Cant see what all the fuss is about. Two parents want to teach their children how to be independent. They teach them how to ride a bike and show them the route to take and cross a part way with the lollipop lady. Lucky to have one if you ask me. There are many areas in Sheffield where no one will do the job!.

This teaches the older child to look after and take care of his sister and it teaches the younger one that she has to do what her older brother says.

Of course these are all life skills that children need to learn. Teaching a child that there is something to be scared about by not allowing them to take a trip to school is worse in my opinion. they grow up being scared and anxious about the world they live in, and are much less likely to take any risk in life when they get older.

Anyway if motorists see young children riding bikes near a school then doesn't that encourage them to drive slower. It would me.

Archived