BBC doing my nut in

just like in the cumbria version of the shooting the bbc are again sooooo excited. They have about 3 different reporters there all trying different routes to get into the village. Seriously we don't need an image of a reporter in the village and we don't need 24h coverage of nothing happening.

Yesterday I listened to a program on radio 4 that mentioned that a study of depression and dementia resulted in not as direct a link as the researchers were expecting, bbc news this morning "a link has been found between depression and dementia", they neglected to mention the actual statistic 17% versus 22%.

remember their live election coverage (bigotgate:mad:) 20 min footage of a red door with a voiceover of the reporter saying "we are seeing amazing scenes":hihi:

the bbc news makes me bang my head against the desk.

just noticed the Bbc whoops!

on a side note they keep reporting the name of the woman that found his car-Im wondering whether this is responsible as the guy has a hitlist and is thought to be near her! what are they thinking.

24 hour rolling news is usually about 22 hours too much.

It's the televisual equivalent of treading water.

its usually great for working to as I dont pay full attention, however the behaviour of the reporters is often a bit sick!

stop press a police car just went past!:o

its usually great for working to as I dont pay full attention

Therein lies the problem. The original concept of a rolling news channel was that people could tune in at any point, and within half an hour they'd have heard a full news programme. I don't know of any 24-hour news channel that still works on that basis, though; they seem to be under the impression that they should be trying to keep viewers on their channel all day.

Therein lies the problem. The original concept of a rolling news channel was that people could tune in at any point, and within half an hour they'd have heard a full news programme. I don't know of any 24-hour news channel that still works on that basis, though; they seem to be under the impression that they should be trying to keep viewers on their channel all day.

keeping them hooked by providing exciting footage of doors and empty streets. you have to listen for hours to get some actual news

I would love it if the police had made it up to keep the reporters away from the real search:hihi:

It would be useful if they could, but they don't have enough manpower; and even if they did, the press have their own helicopters flying about and would find the 50 police officers searching somewhere else that is officially the wrong place. They'd then send even more reporters in to cover both places and also to discuss the waste of police manpower used in trying to block the freedom of the press.

The standards in the BBC news department have fallen dramatically.

At one time, BBC News reporters reported the news. They may have done so in an amusing accent, but their diction was comprehensible.

Nowadays, it's often nearly totally incomprehensible.

"Err... this is... err um the BB ...err um C err... News." Reporters who don't have anything to say either waffle, insert 'Errr...Ums' between most of the words or insert ...unnaturally ... long ... pauses ... between ... every... word. (Yes, I'm talking about you, Matthew!)

Many of those interviewing people ask stupid questions - I'm not sure whether they are given a book of daft questions or they make the questions up themselves. On many occasions, the questions seem to have been (poorly) designed to lead the interviewee into saying something which the reporter wanted him/her to say.

Then there's the newsfilm. A 30 second clip played in an endless loop pretending to be 'live coverage'.

A few days ago (about 1930 my time, 1830 your time and 2300 in Kabul) I saw some 'live footage' from Afghanistan. The sun was shining. The world must be flat.

Accuracy seems to be irrelevant.

Clarity seems to be irrelevant.

Honest reporting seems to be irrelevant.

It's a sad state of affairs.

The Gulf War started at 0138z on 17 Jan 1991. - 1638 Mountain time (I was living in New Mexico.) My wife was at work and at about quarter to 5 - 7 minutes or so after the Air war started - I called her up and told her what was happening. She was in an Intelligence briefing.

Her boss got on the phone and was very grateful ... Then he wanted to know how I knew about things before the Base Intelligence officer (:hihi::hihi::hihi:)

I suggested he buy a short-wave radio and tune into the World Service. (Like wot I did.)

The Beeb not only scooped the US news networks, they beat them to it by a couple of hours. - That was back when the Beeb was interested in quality, not quantity.

Archived