Get the unemployed to sit on benefit appeal panels

Good idea?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea?

• yes it is
    • not sure it might work
    • no bad idea (don't give them ideas above their station)
    • who cares. Shoot the bloody lot of em anyway.

With more interest in getting the unemployed to contribute more to society why not allow them to be members of benefit appeals panels?

This would serve two purposes - firstly it will satisfy those people who want claimants to do something in return for their money and secondly it would make the whole appeals system a lot fairer.

At present the whole appeals system is fixed in such a way that claimants almost never win their appeals even when they have a strong case. That is because the tribunals are staffed by people who are unsympathetic to benefit claimants. It would be fairer to have more representative panels so that people would be judged by their 'peers' rather than by people they have little in common with.

Good idea? I think so.

How many unemployed are qualified to do such a job? They need to know all the technical details about the benefits inside out, and also be experts at interviewing other people and drawing the truth out of them ... I couldn't do it. I doubt that one person in ten would be capable.

How many unemployed are qualified to do such a job? They need to know all the technical details about the benefits inside out, and also be experts at interviewing other people and drawing the truth out of them ... I couldn't do it. I doubt that one person in ten would be capable.

They would be no worse than the people already doing the job in that case.

Not necessarily. They are as capable as anyone else of listening to somebody and making a decision as to wheter or not they have been treated fairly. Of course there is alos a place for qualified professionals to advise and decide on the technical issues but these people (solicitors etc) are generally incapable of truely emphasising with a claimant.

Your argument is also an argument against the jury system of trials BTW.

Not necessarily. They are as capable as anyone else of listening to somebody and making a decision as to wheter or not they have been treated fairly. Of course there is alos a place for qualified professionals to advise and decide on the technical issues but these people (solicitors etc) are generally incapable of truely emphasising with a claimant.

Your argument is also an argument against the jury system of trials BTW.

I think you make a valid point

Few years ago they DSA suddenly decided to change me from higher rate to lower rate DLA. We took them to the appeals court and we didnt even get into the court room, someone saw us walk into the building and said they can tell the DSA are wrong and told them to give it me indefinatly and to give back all they owed

Archived