Cameron Announces Torture Inquiry

Guest sibon

Guest sibon

David Cameron has just announced an inquiry into allegations that UK security services were complicit in the torture of terrorist suspects. Link here.

Blimey, perhaps we do live in a civillised country after all.

Perhaps we could have a Public Inquiry into the 7/7 Bombings?

First we were told that they were all 'clean skins' and 'below the intel radar' half a dozen trials later it turns out that Special Branch and the Security Services had been bugging following and videoing most of them !

I notice the inquiry is conditional upon ongoing criminal and civil claims being dropped.

It doesn't say anything like that. The article says: "On-going criminal and civil cases must end before the inquiry starts." - Nothing about 'being dropped.'

What do you find strange about that?

If the enquiry was in any way to prejudice the outcome of a criminal trial, or was to prevent justice in a civil action, do you think that would be a good thing?

It doesn't say anything like that. The article says: "On-going criminal and civil cases must end before the inquiry starts." - Nothing about 'being dropped.'

It would be nice to know what were his exact words; whether the implication is that an inquiry cannot begin until all cases have been concluded, or will not happen unless they are all withdrawn.

I'm guessing the former as you say, but if those were his exact words, he missed a trick by not actually saying "it will take place once all legal cases have been concluded." That would prevent anyone from misinterpreting him - accidentally or otherwise.

Hmm, after seeing today's report that the Bloody Sunday enquiry has now cost more than £100m (with 14 lawyers earning over £1m so far) I'm having to question if the current enquiry system is fit for purpose regardless of the outcome.

Hmm, after seeing today's report that the Bloody Sunday enquiry has now cost more than £100m (with 14 lawyers earning over £1m so far) I'm having to question if the current enquiry system is fit for purpose regardless of the outcome.

All that money and 'wee Martin' or 'J118' to his mates declined to give an account of his rifle carrying on the day.

David Cameron has just announced an inquiry into allegations that UK security services were complicit in the torture of terrorist suspects

Security services the world over have been and will continue to be 'complicit' in the torture of terrorist suspects.

Cameron' knows full well that the government of the day will be exonerated whilst laying the blame, if indeed there is any, fairly and squarely somewhere else.

Political posturing at its worst and all because we, Joe public are not bright enough to realise that the actions of the security services will never be formally sanctioned by any government but sanctioned, nonetheless.

Perhaps i should care if a terrorist suspect is tortured? Actually, no. And if he's proven Innocent? Well, a shed-load of compensation is coming his way.

Perhaps i should care if a terrorist suspect is tortured? Actually, no. And if he's proven Innocent? Well, a shed-load of compensation is coming his way.

At what point did we abandon eight centuries of judicial practice and declare that a suspect has to prove himself innocent?

Perhaps i should care if a terrorist suspect is tortured? Actually, no.

The end justifies the means, eh?

Apparently torture is OK as long as our side is doing it, as we're the "good guys".

Ever considered that the other side might hold identical views?

Archived