The Elderly and small spaces

why is it elderly people generally tend to stop for a rest or a breather or just a chat in places that are busy thoroughfares i.e. shop or supermarket doorways or even very narrow pavements in busy streets, its like there on there own planet and other people around them dont exist, they are polite but it takes them 5 minutes to see they are blocking a busy passage way, what are your thoughts on this?

When they get old ,they have to use it or lose it , and i am not on about a Hard on , Energy they dont have much so just keep going and stop when they seize up , just think your self lucky they are not in a mobility scooter , because once they get one of those they use it like Isreali on a bulldozer in the Gaza Strip

It's not just the elderly, it's everyone! I put stuff outside my shop on the pavement, narrowing it a little bit and there's also a lampost and two parking spaces. Five or six steps away is the built out railed area at the pelican crossing. People could stand there to chat, lean on the railings and not be in anyone's way or in any danger from cars mounting the kerb when parking.

Do they? No, they stand right outside in the narrowest place and seem oblivious that people are trying to squeeze by on scooters, with trolleys and buggies or trying to get to the doorway ... it's just one of those immutable laws of the Universe. :rolleyes::D

When they get old ,they have to use it or lose it , and i am not on about a Hard on , Energy they dont have much so just keep going and stop when they seize up , just think your self lucky they are not in a mobility scooter , because once they get one of those they use it like Isreali on a bulldozer in the Gaza Strip
If the rest of them are like the old boy on the C4 programme last night I don't think they have too much to worry about!

why is it elderly people generally tend to stop for a rest or a breather or just a chat in places that are busy thoroughfares i.e. shop or supermarket doorways or even very narrow pavements in busy streets, its like there on there own planet...

We are on our own planet.

... and other people around them dont exist, they are polite but it takes them 5 minutes to see they are blocking a busy passage way,

Well of course we see them. We can't help but see them (when we were children, our grandparents' people knew how to be unobtrusive) - but one shouldn't acknowledge their presence too often. - It might confuse them or give them ideas above their station.

... what are your thoughts on this?

It's sooo difficult to get decent help nowadays.

It's not just the elderly, it's everyone! I put stuff outside my shop on the pavement, narrowing it a little bit and there's also a lampost and two parking spaces. Five or six steps away is the built out railed area at the pelican crossing. People could stand there to chat, lean on the railings and not be in anyone's way or in any danger from cars mounting the kerb when parking.

Do they? No, they stand right outside in the narrowest place and seem oblivious that people are trying to squeeze by on scooters, with trolleys and buggies or trying to get to the doorway ... it's just one of those immutable laws of the Universe. :rolleyes::D

Yes, it is everyone! I notice it a lot when you have a couple or three mums with pushchairs, they just stop with the pushchairs out at all angles and block the pavement or insist on walking along side by side, with a gap in between them that you can't get through. Or families walking along the pavement, all 3 generations holding hands and stopping anybody getting past!

Yes, it is everyone! I notice it a lot when you have a couple or three mums with pushchairs, they just stop with the pushchairs out at all angles and block the pavement or insist on walking along side by side, with a gap in between them that you can't get through. Or families walking along the pavement, all 3 generations holding hands and stopping anybody getting past!

No dear, it's just the females.

Women love to block doorways and gossip with their 'friends' in public places, so everyone can see how popular they are :roll:

I suspect if the same women passed each other in an empty park, they'd completely blank each other :|

why is it elderly people generally tend to stop for a rest or a breather or just a chat in places that are busy thoroughfares i.e. shop or supermarket doorways or even very narrow pavements in busy streets, its like there on there own planet and other people around them dont exist, they are polite but it takes them 5 minutes to see they are blocking a busy passage way, what are your thoughts on this?

If SF is still around when you become elderly (yep, it's going to happen!) I wonder what you'll think if you read this in however many years time?

Tell you what, you want to try it sometime! Walk along in a small group, then suddenly stop.

It's the old folks who complain when they have to manoever past you!

Also, when you get to the top of moving staircases, stop as soon as you step off. People behind get quite stressed!

Archived