Any ideas on Matlock Caves

My dad (deceased) escaped from a POW camp in Italy and was on the run for two years along with other guys. On returning to the UK the army allowed them to live in a cave in Matlock until they grew used to civilisation. Any one else out there who knows where these caves were?

Okay, as I remember him telling me as the germans came in to take over the POW camp in Italy somehow a way out was left open and several prisoners escaped including my dad. In his words they nipped out through a back door. They hid in the moutains in Italy and were occasionally fed by peasants. This went on for two years. On returning to the UK he had a long beard and a stutter. He managed to pick up basic Italian. He was with the Royal Artillery and was a gunner. He was captured on the desert. We have some old letters from the POW camp to my MUM and of course her recollections.

Archived