Visiting the usa with a criminal record.. help?

I travelled to Detroit last year with the intention of entering USA using the visa waver program, unfortunately i wasnt aware i needed to complete an ESTA form online prior to travel, and because of this i was refused entry & physically placed back on a return flight straight away. Apparently my travel insurance didnt cover this. I lost the cost of my trip. I have nearly saved up the money to travel again. I now have to apply for a visa online with the American Embassy & wait for an appointment in London for an interview regarding the application. This is my only option. I am wondering if its worth it.

thanks for the info, but after a good nights sleep and a talk to hubby, we decided to go to dubai instead, we can not be bothered with the faffing about.

hopefully some day, usa will relax its laws againest the british entering the states, by no means am i expecting it to be "pourous" but not impossible.

i understand why these regulations are in place, although very far fetched, its not as if i was done for murder !

i wonder how much money usa has lost from holiday makers in the same boat as me, i mean... who hasnt had a caution once in thier lives... even my own mother has had a caution and she was a sunday school teacher!

im very disheartened, but im sure dubai is going to be fantastic!

I hope you enjoy your holiday in Dubai (or wherever you choose to go.)

The requirement to obtain a visa to go to the US isn't new. - The visa waiver program was introduced in 1986; before that you had to get a visa.

The fact that an individual has been arrested, or even that an individual has a criminal record does not disbar that person from obtaining a visa - all it does is prevent that person from entering the US without a visa.

There are no laws against the British entering the US.

If you had an older (non machine-readable) passport (and there are still plenty of those around) then you would also have been required to obtain a visa. Getting one is no big deal.

I hope you enjoy your holiday in Dubai (or wherever you choose to go.)

The requirement to obtain a visa to go to the US isn't new. - The visa waiver program was introduced in 1986; before that you had to get a visa.

The fact that an individual has been arrested, or even that an individual has a criminal record does not disbar that person from obtaining a visa - all it does is prevent that person from entering the US without a visa.

i understand that, but someone did say that those visa are like rocking horse..... to get passed for and its not worth the hassel to me. I ONLY WANT TO HOLIDAY OUT THERE! its ridiculas

I travelled to Detroit last year with the intention of entering USA using the visa waver program, unfortunately i wasnt aware i needed to complete an ESTA form online prior to travel, and because of this i was refused entry & physically placed back on a return flight straight away. Apparently my travel insurance didnt cover this. I lost the cost of my trip. I have nearly saved up the money to travel again. I now have to apply for a visa online with the American Embassy & wait for an appointment in London for an interview regarding the application. This is my only option. I am wondering if its worth it.

I'm surprised. Google ESTA and you'll find that:

"With effect from January 20th 2010, online completion of ESTA, plus its approval, is mandatory ahead of travel, for all Visa Waiver Programme travellers. Visa Waiver Programme travellers arriving in the USA without such approval, risk possible immediate deportation.

If you travelled prior to 20 Jan 2010, then it appears that you were not require to complete the ESTA application, but if you were, did the Travel Agency/Airline who took your booking not tell you?

Perhaps you may have some redress there.

i understand that, but someone did say that those visa are like rocking horse..... to get passed for and its not worth the hassel to me. I ONLY WANT TO HOLIDAY OUT THERE! its ridiculas

That's more than likely due to them not being applied for rather than them not being available. I think you've bitten. Thousands fly every day to the States on the waiver that should legally to the letter apply for a visa.

Enjoy Dubai...just don't kiss in public:hihi:

I can assure you they aren't at all rare. Thousands are issued every year. Did you look at This website? - You can apply for a Visa online.

I can assure you they aren't at all rare. Thousands are issued every year. Did you look at This website? - You can apply for a Visa online.

I thought for a moment he was selling carpets...:D

I'm surprised. Google ESTA and you'll find that:

"With effect from January 20th 2010, online completion of ESTA, plus its approval, is mandatory ahead of travel, for all Visa Waiver Programme travellers. Visa Waiver Programme travellers arriving in the USA without such approval, risk possible immediate deportation.

If you travelled prior to 20 Jan 2010, then it appears that you were not require to complete the ESTA application, but if you were, did the Travel Agency/Airline who took your booking not tell you?

Perhaps you may have some redress there.

applied for my ESTA the other day...got an instant reply saying approved :)

Archived