How Do I Get Around This?

Its pretty well known that I have eye problems. I`m always ranting on about it.

Recently I lost the sight in my left eye and had to go to hospital and after examining my baby blues the doc told me that glasses were no longer of any use to me, my eyes are too bad for glasses because the lenses are too far from the surface of my eye to do any good.

He then suggested I try contact lenses.

`I`ve tried contact lenses` I told him, `Ive tried `em all and the longest I`ve been able to wear them for is about three hours before they made my eyes sore and once I took them out, they looked as if they had been chewed by a Yorkshire terrier.`

He shrugged and told me that there are new and improved materials out now that the body cant recognise as a foreign body so it doesnt attack them, theyre called 24 hour disposables and you wear them for a day then lob them.

I told him that two years ago I tried them for three months and they became 45 minute disposables because that was the maximum time I could wear them before they hurt my eyes and looked like they had been chewed on by a Yorkshire terrier.

He mentioned hard contact lenses- I mentioned that after a few days they hurt my eyes and looked as if they had been chewed by that SAME Yorkshire terrier that had chewed the other lenses.

He mentioned Gas permeable lenses... I mentioned the little doggy...

He mentioned several other kinds of contact lenses- all made of miracle materials and I mentioned that I had tried them and then mentioned the scruffly little contact lense eating dog again...

He shrugged then said...

`You should try contactLensesWellTheresNothing MoreI CanAddSogoodByeGoobyeIhopeYouGetThisIssue ResolvedButTryContactLenses` as he ushered me out of his room.

The perfect "Fob off"

So, I emailed the RNIB for advice, explaining that I cant wear contact lenses and they replied a few weeks later advising me to wear glasses AND contact lenses at the same time because that might help....

I replied and repeated my problem with contact lenses... they have yet to reply.

So, here I sit, gawping at the PC screen through the right lense of my glasses, head about an inch from the screen, looking down at the keyboard to see which key I`m pressing then back at the screen to see what I`m babbling on about...

They say that very shortly, my right eye will join my left one and go on permanant strike.... then the glasses will be totally useless....

I cant wear glasses, I cant wear lenses...They refuse to do the laser treatment because my corneas are so messed up... so.... Where do I go from here, poppets?

I dont often ask for this kind of advice on the forum because up until now I was always more than able to look after myself, but in this case I appear to be stuck... Once the glasses are no longer of any use my sight will be as good as gone unless I get contact lenses which I cant wear blah de blah blah... you know the score...

So, any advice to offer? My days at the computer or watching telly or doing anything even remotely vision related will be gone. I wont even be able to go out on my own and stalk hikers up Bardon hill so I need advice here, my little sausages!

* If anyone mentions getting contact lenses I WILL find out where you live then move in next door to you.

Try taking the small dog out of your eye, it may be interfering with your vision. Plus it keeps chewing your lenses.

Okay, so they 'chewed'. And they're uncomfortable after a few hours. The second part of that is normal. You keep using them every day and the time before they become uncomfortable increases as you get used to them.

Regarding hard gas permeable lenses, I doubt that your eye (even with a small dog in it) could damage them, they're made of optical glass. They are far more uncomfortable than soft lenses though.

One other option is surgery to implant a intra-ocular lens. It's theoretically like a contact lens (in how it works), but it goes under the outer surface of your eye and is permanent.

http://www.ultralase.com/vites/non-laser-eye-surgery

Hmm, I can't wear lenses either - have you tried using moisterising drops alongside every half hour whilst the lenses are in? That was something my optician suggested and it did help - I could wear them for half a day, rather than half an hour before I wanted to claw my eyes out as they were so dry and itchy. :(

Try taking the small dog out of your eye, it may be interfering with your vision. Plus it keeps chewing your lenses.

Okay, so they 'chewed'. And they're uncomfortable after a few hours. The second part of that is normal. You keep using them every day and the time before they become uncomfortable increases as you get used to them.

Regarding hard gas permeable lenses, I doubt that your eye (even with a small dog in it) could damage them, they're made of optical glass. They are far more uncomfortable than soft lenses though.

One other option is surgery to implant a intra-ocular lens. It's theoretically like a contact lens (in how it works), but it goes under the outer surface of your eye and is permanent.

http://www.ultralase.com/vites/non-laser-eye-surgery

I went for a almost a year getting my eyes used to lenses and I just ended up with messed up eyes, an empty wallet and a pile of lenses that looked like chewing gum. The optician told me that for some reason my body chemistry attacks anything- either I have very acidic tears or my immune system is on overdrive.

I might ask about the intra ocular lense... that sounds like a plan... unless my eyes chew them... I`ll check up on these, they might be an good idea! Thanks for that!

Hmm, I can't wear lenses either - have you tried using moisterising drops alongside every half hour whilst the lenses are in? That was something my optician suggested and it did help - I could wear them for half a day, rather than half an hour before I wanted to claw my eyes out as they were so dry and itchy. :(

Yup I have to use eye drops all the time and they didnt help with the lenses either, they didnt add a second on on the length of time I could wear them!

what about lens implant surgery, they basically take your lenses out of your eyes, and implant artificial lenses made of a totally different material to contacts.

Yep Im Googling it now... Sounds good!

If it looks good I might give the quack a ring this afters!

Archived