How Do I Get Around This?

how about full eye transplants? or is there a reason they won't do that for you either?

mind you, if your immune system goes nuts at everything, none of the above suggestions will be of any use :(

what about lens implant surgery, they basically take your lenses out of your eyes, and implant artificial lenses made of a totally different material to contacts.

Is that the same as a corneal transplant or have I got my terminology mixed up?

Well I did a bit of phoning, was assed to the eye doc and he checked my records and rang back.

He told me that any kind of work done at the front of the eye would only be a stop-gap, very temporary measure because 90% of the trouble is at the back of my eye, the retinas.

Theyre torn and ragged and falling away a little each day, lasering them back into place is pointless because theyre so raggedy, he said it`d be like trying to stick wallpaper back onto a wall after it was all ripped off.

He mentioned the contact lenses on the understanding that they were very temporary and definately not a long term solution then went on to tell me that although he found it laudable that I would search for a solution, he felt it was a waste of my time.

I reckon thats it, to be honest and mods, if you want you can close this thread now.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everybody, at least I learned a thing or two from this thread today.

Well I did a bit of phoning, was assed to the eye doc and he checked my records and rang back.

He told me that any kind of work done at the front of the eye would only be a stop-gap, very temporary measure because 90% of the trouble is at the back of my eye, the retinas.

Theyre torn and ragged and falling away a little each day, lasering them back into place is pointless because theyre so raggedy, he said it`d be like trying to stick wallpaper back onto a wall after it was all ripped off.

He mentioned the contact lenses on the understanding that they were very temporary and definately not a long term solution then went on to tell me that although he found it laudable that I would search for a solution, he felt it was a waste of my time.

I reckon thats it, to be honest and mods, if you want you can close this thread now.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everybody, at least I learned a thing or two from this thread today.

Not suggesting that you've been misinformed at all, but if you're talking about something as serious as losing your sight it might be an idea to ask to be referred to a second opthalmologist for a second opinion - just to reassure yourself that all avenues have been exhausted as much as anything.

Archived