How Dumb Are The Americans ?

How do you figure that? I renounced allegience 'to all foreign potentates" the day I took US citizenship
A British born subject can always repatriate if he wants to. There is a catch however, you may be ordered to pay back taxes from the day you emigrated. It happened to David Niven when he wanted to go home to fight for his country. He stayed in America. You can lose your American citizenship too by going. Nothing is worth that, despite what this latest crop of oafs say..

How do you figure that? I renounced allegience 'to all foreign potentates" the day I took US citizenship

You're entitled to freedom of speech in the US and on occasion you're entitled to freedom of speech in the UK, too.

If you had said: "I'm a Martian now" would it have been so?

There is no provision under English Law for a person born with British Nationality to rescind it. You can call yourself what you like, you can ignore your British Nationality but you're stuck with it. - Even though it means nothing to you.

You really don't like your Mother Country do you? :confused:

Money support? Not even going there, weren't we still paying for those old rustbuckets of ships your lot foisted off onto us in WW2 until about 1986? Not that I remember, being a 70s kid, but a lot of old sailors do ;)

I meant giving you a toehold in Europe by letting you have bases here, not to mention support in your illegal wars. Watching your backs has cost this country billions, not to mention the precious lives that have been lost so far. And laying ourselves open to be a target for terrorists by being your 'ally' :rolleyes: Some ally, so regarded when we're fighting your corner but when it comes to anything else, we can go and **** ourselves?

But at least we turned up for the start ... didn't wait till the fighting was nearly over before we arrived, lol.

Don't get mardy, though, mate. We'll still come and spend our money on holidays ... if we can get a visa to get in, that is.

Yes I like my mother country. I just find it ludicrous that you could make a statement saying that the US was supported by Britain when we know it wasnt . Support to me implied financial in this case

Yes the founding fathers traced their descent to Britain and we owe Britain for that. Washington's English ancestors originally came over with William the Conqueror in 1066 and Jeffersons ancestors came from Wales

As far as the old rustbucket warships are concerned I believe the deal was that Britain handed over a base or two in Greenland in exchange for said rustbuckets.

Money was never involved in it that that I know of

The rest of your history is a bit confused also. What does a "toehold in Europe" mean?

Harry Truman (He didnt play for Wednesday by the way) had every intention

of withdrawing US forces in Europe at the end of WW2 just as at the end of WW1.

The Soviet Union was regarded as an ally in the defeat of Germany of course and the Cold War and the Iron Curtain were something that was to happen down the road,

It was Churchill who coined the name Iron Curtain and who foresaw the threat of Stalin's intentions to dominate eastern Europe either by cohersion or force and possibly take over Germany completely In light of that US forces remained in France and Germany, NATO was established and US forces remained in Europe as part of that pact

So where does your "toehold" theory fit in?

The action in Afganistan is a NATO operation and involves about 40,000 troops from all NATO countries excluding the number of US troops. It's not just a US/UK show

I could go on and on reciting factual history until I'm blue in the face but it probably wont do you any good.

God knows what they teach in Sheffield schools nowadays. When I attended those schools there were only the basics for teaching after the war but from what I've seen on this forum they were "shining beacons of learning" compared to what they seemed to have become today

Why would you want to be? According to you and your 'wingman' old buck, this country is crap. But there again we seem to let anyone in, so probably right.

I'm not intending to return to Britain so dont get your knickers in a twist. The question was posed merely as a matter of curiosity.

I was one of the lads they called up for National Service. Did they teach you what National Service was in school?

I served Queen and country for two years stationed in a far outpost of Empire called Malaya. Ever heard of that place? Slogging for periods of time through stinky jungles in search of CTs Came out with just over 12 quid in my pocket and not even a fond bye bye.

I probably did more for my country that you did or ever will do.

If NS was ever reintroduced in Britain 3/4 of the young punks of todays generation would do a runner to Europe as fast as their chav legs would carry them

A British born subject can always repatriate if he wants to [...]You can lose your American citizenship too by going. Nothing is worth that, despite what this latest crop of oafs say..
Don't knock it, you might fall on hard times, lose your health insurance and need major medical treatment. Your poor old knees or hips might need replacing. You'll be able to nip across, get them sorted free of charge, and you won't even need a visa! Win-win!

You might even be able to collect your pension at the same time! Result!

You're entitled to freedom of speech in the US and on occasion you're entitled to freedom of speech in the UK, too.

If you had said: "I'm a Martian now" would it have been so?

There is no provision under English Law for a person born with British Nationality to rescind it. You can call yourself what you like, you can ignore your British Nationality but you're stuck with it. - Even though it means nothing to you.

I wouldn't exactly say it "means nothing to me"

The country isn't the same one I remember though. Time was when you could walk safely around after dark in the pleasant Sussex town I spent a few of my later teenage years in.

When I told my sister during one visit years later I was going for a walk one evening around the neighborhood we all used to live in she said "Stay away from that place after dark"

You really don't like your Mother Country do you? :confused:

Money support? Not even going there, weren't we still paying for those old rustbuckets of ships your lot foisted off onto us in WW2 until about 1986? Not that I remember, being a 70s kid, but a lot of old sailors do ;)

I meant giving you a toehold in Europe by letting you have bases here, not to mention support in your illegal wars. Watching your backs has cost this country billions, not to mention the precious lives that have been lost so far. And laying ourselves open to be a target for terrorists by being your 'ally' :rolleyes: Some ally, so regarded when we're fighting your corner but when it comes to anything else, we can go and **** ourselves?

But at least we turned up for the start ... didn't wait till the fighting was nearly over before we arrived, lol.

Don't get mardy, though, mate. We'll still come and spend our money on holidays ... if we can get a visa to get in, that is.

well said! although i have nothing againest the americans as such, they do seem to be so far up thier own ars!s,

A British born subject can always repatriate if he wants to. There is a catch however, you may be ordered to pay back taxes from the day you emigrated. It happened to David Niven when he wanted to go home to fight for his country. He stayed in America. You can lose your American citizenship too by going. Nothing is worth that, despite what this latest crop of oafs say..

Interestingly the American pilots that took part in the battle of Britain in the RAF's colours were threatened with loss of citizenship, fines and imprisonment if they ever went home.

No chance of that. I've been away from Britain over half the total number of years of my life.

The British army called me for reserve training in 1966 after I had gone. My ma forwarded the letter on to me at Parris Island in South Carolina where I was sweating it out yet again that time in Uncle Sam's military. I never bothered to answer the letter.

I've always had the uneasy feeling that one day I'll be arrested as a deserter during one of my visits. Not so far fetched these days when every little detail about anyone is now on computers

Interestingly the American pilots that took part in the battle of Britain in the RAF's colours were threatened with loss of citizenship, fines and imprisonment if they ever went home.

A lot of them joined the US Army Air Force when the US entered the war

Archived