How Dumb Are The Americans ?

I don't know if they are constantly trying to wind us up... they just over-react so easily it is impossible to resist the temptation not to wind them up from time to time.

:hihi:

You certainly dont wind me up. I enjoy these verbal exchanges. Some Yank phobe starts a thread saying how dumb and stupid we are and away we go.

The forum fills in a few hours a week of my happy retirement living. I need something to do other than playing golf for two hours a day or lounging by the pool. It's darned hot here and it's nice to spend a few hours indoors with the central air conditioning on banging away all this blather on the keyboard

I think old ruby has more of a problem about getting wound up though. I like her anyway even though she does display her somewhat sad lack of knowledge about what goes on this side of the pond.

Please don't despair, none of this petty point scoring is against Americans. No-one would be jumping up and down with glee if anything bad happened to your country. We like you, truly!

It's only against buck and Harleyman, and to a lesser degree, poppins, who are constantly trying to wind us all up and slagging us off. They can't leave it alone. Typical (ex) Sheffielders ;)

Here we go again, Cotton top, This is Ruby's constant theme. We are not "real Americans" despite the fact that I've paid taxes for over forty years, and my passport is as American as yours.I may not have been born here but all but one of my grandkids, and two of my sons were born here. Would you like to be told your first generation ancestors were not considered American. Ruby professes affection for Americans, but read some of her"friendly" posts about our counttry.

Apart from the first link I dont see any relevence in the second and third threads.

It was obviously a mistake get over it.

Maybe the angry spirits want their stories to be heard, because that cemetary is still haunting now.... and there are many stories still to come out, believe me , if only they were allowed to be!

Had the USA come into the conflict in time to prevent the catastrophes where many were taken prisoner, then they the prisoners may not have endured so much hardship being transported from Greece to Austria.

But no the US ignored all warnings and only joined in once Pearl Harbour had happened.

Mistake ?

German army camps did not have watchtowers!

I accept that many brave deeds were done and many mistakes were made on all sides.

But that was incompetence of the highest order.

Regarding comments about Caen that was a strategic target, in the way of an advance. Not a backwater camp in the southern alps.

Here we go again, Cotton top, This is Ruby's constant theme. We are not "real Americans" despite the fact that I've paid taxes for over forty years, and my passport is as American as yours.I may not have been born here but all but one of my grandkids, and two of my sons were born here. Would you like to be told your first generation ancestors were not considered American. Ruby professes affection for Americans, but read some of her"friendly" posts about our counttry.
*forebearingly turns the other cheek*

Don't underestimate the influence he had on American culture:

Colour version (also loads better for me anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIYO_hcLJE

I do wish you would stop the annoying habit of replying along with websites. I'm not interested in websites.

Base your arguments on knowledge you draw from your own experience or what you have acquired from reading books or from the many intelligent documentaries that are abundantly available on such media oulets as the history channels or from the British papers that are a big step up from the Mirror or the Sun :D

Maybe the angry spirits want their stories to be heard, because it is still haunting now.... and there are many stories still to come out, believe me .

Had the USA come into the conflict in time to prevent the catastrophes where many were taken prisoner, then they may not have endured so much hardship being transported from Greece to Austria..

But no the US ignored all warnings and only joined in when Tojo made his mark at Pearl Harbour.

Mistake ?

German army camps did not have watchtowers!

Oh boy here we go again. If you want to discuss with me please do me the courtesy of displaying a little knowledge about the subject you are discussing.

The American army at the outbreak of WW2 in 1939 was a peacetime army.

It had a few hundred thousand regular soldiers with no combat experience whatsoever and a few outdated obsolete tanks.

The bill to draft all men between the ages of 18 and 30 passed by only one vote in 1940.

After WW1 the majority of Americans wanted no more to do with wars in Europe. It was regarded as a disaster fought on the whims of kings, kaisers and czars.

The Japs caught everyone off guard however and talks about reaching some kind of understanding were still going on when the Japs suddenly bombed Pearl Harbor without any warning

No one was more surprised than the British in Malaya when the Japs came down from Thailand and took Singapore from behind

British general Percival was quite convinced that the Japanese army could never make it through the thick jungle and that all Jap soldiers wore glasses and couldnt hit a barn door at 20 yards

Ruby doesnt even know that the Patriots are a football team. :hihi:

Uncle Joe Stalin would have swallowed you lot like a whale swallowing a guppy if it hadn't been for America standing guard in western Europe for about 50 years

You're move :D

We'll never know.

But to claim that the US almost single handedly "saved Europe from the Nazis" is disingenuous (to say the least).

Some Yank phobe starts a thread saying how dumb and stupid we are and away we go.

I thought the thread was genuinely "a bit of fun" (I'm sure I've posted something about stupidity having no borders).

Stop looking for offence at every opportunity:thumbsup:.

I'm not interested in websites.

Why are you here then:confused::hihi:.

Archived