How Dumb Are The Americans ?

Believe it or not I had a couple of slices of bread and dripping last night.
It has to have the brown in it to get the real taste. Never ever make Yorkshire pud in a pan with owt but dripping in it. Me Mam always cooked a leg of lamb on a Saturday. Enough dripping for a whole loaf of bread.

It's 100 F outside today. Too hot to go for a walk or play golf. or swim Got me remembering the cooling beverages of my childhood days, Tizer and Dandelion and Burdock

When we had a really hot summer day in Sheffield I' d get ma to a buy a whole bottle of Burdock for myself and my brother and we'd drink them in the bedroom and get into a belching contest afterwards

Wonder if they're still around. Smarties and Bassetts Allsorts were another favorite

Beano, Wizard, Eagle and another weekly about a school kid named Tom Smith which I also read. Cant remember the name of that comic though although Biffo the Bear, Desperate Dan, Dennis the Menace and Keyhole Kate were characters i'll probably always remember

It has to have the brown in it to get the real taste. Never ever make Yorkshire pud in a pan with owt but dripping in it. Me Mam always cooked a leg of lamb on a Saturday. Enough dripping for a whole loaf of bread.

Oh it had the brown bits in it but it was from a pork roast

It's 100 F outside today. Too hot to go for a walk or play golf. or swim Got me remembering the cooling beverages of my childhood days, Tizer and Dandelion and Burdock

When we had a really hot summer day in Sheffield I' d get ma to a buy a whole bottle of Burdock for myself and my brother and we'd drink them in the bedroom and get into a belching contest afterwards

Wonder if they're still around. Smarties and Bassetts Allsorts were another favorite

Beano, Wizard, Eagle and another weekly about a school kid named Tom Smith which I also read. Cant remember the name of that comic though although Biffo the Bear, Desperate Dan, Dennis the Menace and Keyhole Kate were characters i'll probably always remember

Geeze Harley you must be as old as me :-)

I'll tell all that to the missus. Maybe she'll buy a carton of it for Christmas.

I've always brought back a few bottles of Bovril when returning from the UK.

I like it better as a drink than Marmite

Bovril is great to drink on a cold day here but cold days in my part of the world could be counted on your fingers so I've had a few bottles in storage for the past 4 years

Reminds me of the Football Violence story :D

I'll be 71 come September. Never had a serious day's illness in my life and as fit as a fiddle.

It was all that Sheffield smoke. Put body into us youngsters :hihi:

Oh you're 5 up on me :-) What part of Sheffield ??

I believe us Yanks stay younger longer than the Tykes anyway

(Sshh !! that should get 'em going again)

Oh you're 5 up on me :-) What part of Sheffield ??

I believe us Yanks stay younger longer than the Tykes anyway

(Sshh !! that should get 'em going again)

America is nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to longevity. There's a very high percentage of obesity especially amongst blacks and Hispanics and even a lot of young Caucasians are overweight. Seems like the only ones who manage to maintain a normal body weight are the Asian-Americans

I spend an hour at the gym most days and there are quite a lot of overweight members who work out regulalrly but never seem to noticeably lose any weight probably because they dont combine the exercise with a healthier diet

I lived on Montgomery Terrace Road opposite a big hospital whose name I cant remember. It was still there a few years ago and a Supermarket had been built just in front of it since then. The house i lived in is one of the only two still remaining unless it has also been demolished since my last visit.

Later moved to a new house in Parson Cross and lived there until dad decided to seek greener pastures in the south of England and moved us all there, me much against my will

We used to play on Jawbone Hill and Warncliffe Crags. Remember those places?

Only big hospitals then were the Infirmary down on Langsette Road. The Royal Hospital on West Street. Childrens Hospital Western Park, and perhaps Fir Vale. Oh and Jessops Womens Hospital somewhere in the City.

I remember Jawbone hill and Wharncliffe Crags. There was a Dragon's cave there and you could climb all the way up the Chimney and come out on top.

Archived