How Dumb Are The Americans ?

Only big hospitals then were the Infirmary down on Langsette Road. The Royal Hospital on West Street. Childrens Hospital Western Park, and perhaps Fir Vale. Oh and Jessops Womens Hospital somewhere in the City.

I remember Jawbone hill and Wharncliffe Crags. There was a Dragon's cave there and you could climb all the way up the Chimney and come out on top.

Jessops hospital is where i first saw the light of day and now you've named the other hospitals it was in fact the Infirmary that was across the road from our house, the hospital entrance being off Langsett road whose name I also couldn't remember until now.

My grandad worked there as a porter in his senior years and received a commendation from the hospital for staying during an air raid and helping move patients down to the lower floors for evacuation in case the hospital was hit

At about four years of age I managed to stick my hand through the thick glass panel above the front door. It severed an artery in my wrist and I was bleeding like a stuck pig. Ma rushed me across to the Infirmary and they stitched me up. I can still remember to this day screaming blue murder and staring up at the bright fluorescent lights in the emergency room

Seems like Montgomery Terrace road is still there down by where the Infirmary is/was. They still have my appendix.

So is my old school, the Sacred Heart which was further along Langsett road, not far from Hillsborough barracks

I spent a year there and it was Plain 'Oribble. Those nuns were something else.

The Sheffield schools back then were pretty tough places with pretty tough teachers but none so horrible than that first school I went to

Jessops hospital is where i first saw the light of day and now you've named the other hospitals it was in fact the Infirmary that was across the road from our house, the hospital entrance being off Langsett road whose name I also couldn't remember until now.

My grandad worked there as a porter in his senior years and received a commendation from the hospital for staying during an air raid and helping move patients down to the lower floors for evacuation in case the hospital was hit

At about four years of age I managed to stick my hand through the thick glass panel above the front door. It severed an artery in my wrist and I was bleeding like a stuck pig. Ma rushed me across to the Infirmary and they stitched me up. I can still remember to this day screaming blue murder and staring up at the bright fluorescent lights in the emergency room

And here we are 70 years on and two local lads on the West Coast of the Good old USSA :-)

Oh you're 5 up on me :-) What part of Sheffield ??

I believe us Yanks stay younger longer than the Tykes anyway

(Sshh !! that should get 'em going again)

I'm up on both you young sprogs, I'll be 79 in August. My Parish priest says I'm the fittest 78 year old he's ever known, but perhaps its just that he wants more put on the plate. I'm not only completely computer literate, but I worked in the industry when you could do wonders with only 16K of RAM ( known as core in the old days ).

I'm up on both you young sprogs, I'll be 79 in August. My Parish priest says I'm the fittest 78 year old he's ever known, but perhaps its just that he wants more put on the plate. I'm not only completely computer literate, but I worked in the industry when you could do wonders with only 16K of RAM ( known as core in the old days ).

Congratulations buck me old mate and especially on being computer literate.

A lot of people our generation have a phobia about computers and cant even master the ability to program a DVD recorder or operate a cell phone. I dont think it's stupidty, more a matter of being intimidated.

I married a woman ten years younger than me so that helps keep me fit :hihi:

Archived