How Dumb Are The Americans ?

We lived there for the first seven years of our marriage with NO hot water, no bathroom, and the toilet was accross the yard. (had a candle in there in the Winters to keep it from freezing). We had a tin bathtub hung on a nail outside the back door. we would bring it into the Kitchen on Friday nights, fill it with numerous saucepans of hot water from the stove, then take it in turns to take a bath. Wife first, then me and the kid together. When we'd done we had to empty it with saucepans also.

im only 27 so have never lived this way but got to say im certainly more gratefull for the convinence of kettles baths and indoor toilets having read this.

im only 27 so have never lived this way but got to say im certainly more gratefull for the convinence of kettles baths and indoor toilets having read this.

The good thing about being brought up in those sorts of environments, was at least you could play with the rats coming up from the hole in the ground by the outside toilet, in tunnels from the from the disused air raid shelter 200 yds down down the road, when as a four year old you hadn't got many toys.

Can't find his original post, but the good thing about that sort of living in those sorts of environments, was at least you could play with the rats coming up from the hole in the ground by the outside toilet, in tunnels from the from the disused air raid shelter 200 yds down down the road, when as a four year old when you hadn't got many toys.

Used to shoot em with my air rifle

Perhaps just a little Jello :-)

ps Carly No Fridge, No Phone, No TV.:(

oh i can manage with out them (have had to before now) well except the phone i got my first mobile at 15 with a sim card the size of a credit card (no chance of losing it though compared to the thumb nail size ones lol).

it still amazes me me though how technology grows in such a short time frame, my first tv was given to me when i was about 5 and it was a tiny black and white one, i think if i put that in my 9 year olds room they would panic that they broke it after switching it on lol.

Used to shoot em with my air rifle

You wouldn't be able to do that here now.

Plenty of rats still around, but you probably wouldn't be allowed to even shoot clay pigeons now!

Talk about technology It's only a 100 years since there were no Airplanes, oops sorry, Aeroplanes, then the dumb Americans invented one
... ....and some frog then went and flew one over the channel.

You wouldn't be able to do that here now.

Plenty of rats still around, but you probably wouldn't be allowed to even shoot clay pigeons now!

On that note:- some things never seem to go away, just get bigger.. It may be tough for you city dwellers to get this but we have a Neighbourhood Bear alert out this morning.

Have to have something a little bigger than an Air Rifle on hand just in case !

Archived