How Dumb Are The Americans ?

Buck, Harley, I have a question for you.

In all my years in the US I have met plenty of Ex Pats. Mostly from Manchester & Liverpool with a few Cockney's thrown in. Number of Yorkshiremen = 1 Number of Sheffielders = 0

How about you guy's ??

I've met many people from Britain in the 45 years I'v been here but as far as I can remember only one Yorkshirman and he was from Redcar I think.

I was a member of the Mayflower Club in North Hollywoood for a few years.

They sometimes held dances on Saturday nights and served bangers and mash, fish and chips and of course English ale.

We took our kids to a couple of their Chritsmas Pantos they put on. It used to make me feel a little homesick but they had great fun.

Many of the members were people who came to California to work in the aerospace industry in the 60s and by the time I joined they were mostly older than me.

I heard a while back that they're nearly all gone now and the present membership isn't what could even be called British anymore

Santa Monica and environs has quite a British population and the Kings Head on Santa Monica Boulevard is a popular expat watering hole

I've met many people from Britain in the 45 years I'v been here but as far as I can remember only one Yorkshirman and he was from Redcar I think.

I was a member of the Mayflower Club in North Hollywoood for a few years.

They sometimes held dances on Saturday nights and served bangers and mash, fish and chips and of course English ale.

We took our kids to a couple of their Chritsmas Pantos they put on. It used to make me feel a little homesick but they had great fun.

Many of the members were people who came to California to work in the aerospace industry in the 60s and by the time I joined they were mostly older than me.

I heard a while back that they're nearly all gone now and the present membership isn't what could even be called British anymore

Santa Monica and environs has quite a British population and the Kings Head on Santa Monica Boulevard is a popular expat watering hole

Been in the Kings Head many times :-)

I used to do quite a bit of construction work in Pasadena and there was a pub there called the **** and Bull owned by a Sheffield couple (forgot to mention that in my last post)

We used to down a couple of brews there during lunch breaks. Eventually they sold the place and moved back to England.

Now it's a Mexican restaurant and a really nice one also

Gotta go and take a dip in the pool for awhile. Talk to you later bud

I used to do quite a bit of construction work in Pasadena and there was a pub there called the **** and Bull owned by a Sheffield couple (forgot to mention that in my last post)

We used to down a couple of brews there during lunch breaks. Eventually they sold the place and moved back to England.

Now it's a Mexican restaurant and a really nice one also

Gotta go and take a dip in the pool for awhile. Talk to you later bud

Wasn't John Bull in Pasadena also ?

Buck, Harley, I have a question for you.

In all my years in the US I have met plenty of Ex Pats. Mostly from Manchester & Liverpool with a few Cockney's thrown in. Number of Yorkshiremen = 1 Number of Sheffielders = 0

How about you guy's ??

Its now two Sheffielders

Interesting

So we have over 100 years between the 3 of us and we can only account for 3 Sheffielders and not many more Yorkshiremen.

Again for the forum I am not being derogatory in any way but I wonder why that is ?

Sheffield's just too good to leave behind or what ?

I did some time in California, up in the bay area, where the fairies fly. I was training in Cupertino where there is a pub called the Britannia Arms.It has Britannia herself above the door wearing a 49ers helmet. When I first went in, I quickly found that most of the patrons were illegals who had come on work permits in the silicon valley, and had been laid off. They asked me if I had a green card, and I said no. So they said you must be illegal like us then. No I said I'm a citizen. Some of my classmates and I went in there after a party at the plant wearing business suits and emptied the place, they thought we were FBI agents.

I did some time in California, up in the bay area, where the fairies fly. I was training in Cupertino where there is a pub called the Britannia Arms.It has Briannia herself above the door wearing a 49ers helmet. When I first went in, I quickly found that most of the patrons were illegals who had come on work permits in the silicon valley, and had been laid off. They asked me if I had a green card, and I said no. So they said you must be illegal like us then. No I said I'm a citizen. Some of my classmates and I went in there after a party at the plant wearing business suits and emptied the place, they thought we were FBI agents.

:-)

We walked into a pub/restaurant in Stockton a few years ago and the barman was wearing a YCCC tie :-) Talk about Gobsmacked

Archived