How Dumb Are The Americans ?

Can't wait to see what buck has to say
I had a boss who came from Sheffield who used to tell all and sundry that I came from Barnsley. Bosses are allowed to be stupid and get away with it. Another guy I knew in a pub in Ticonderoga used to tell everybody I was Australian, so I used to call all the guys Cobber and all the women Sheila. Gday

Santa Monica and environs has quite a British population and the Kings Head on Santa Monica Boulevard is a popular expat watering hole

Walked past a Brit place in Santa Monica just a few weeks ago. Is it a green building on a corner, boxes of tea in the window, just down from some topiary dinosaurs?

We spent a week in the Lowes hotel on the front.

Forgot to mention but when we bought our second house back in 86 the bloke next door was from Northampton.

He was in the shoe trade, had been most of his life and was VP of a shoe manufactruing company. Also served in the Royal navy in WW2

I dont know any Brits in my town. The only foreigners are a French couple up the road

No need to protect Europe, America did that.
You've really bought into the American Dream, an't ya, matey? You weren't related to Lord Ha-Ha were you ... :hih:

@USUK, Sheffielders emigrating to USA. I know of a family that went to start a business in the US, of my oldies generation. They'd be in their early 60s now, the son would be about 38ish now at a rough guess, but don't know if they stayed there. They went to San Diego originally. Another older Sheffield bloke I know of just got married out there and they live in San Jose. California or bust, eh? ;)

Walked past a Brit place in Santa Monica just a few weeks ago. Is it a green building on a corner, boxes of tea in the window, just down from some topiary dinosaurs?

We spent a week in the Lowes hotel on the front.

It might have been the Brit store next to the King's Head if it was on Santa Monica boulevard

There'e another Brit store just around the corner called Tudor House. They sell locally made sauage rolls, steak and kidney pies, Cornish pasties and pork pies.

The pork pies..... aaaaarrrrgh :gag:

When I first settled here in California the park in front of the ocean opposite Santa Monica boulevard was a nice place to spend an afternoon. Sometime in the 1980s however it became a hangout for winos and bums and you probably noticed that while you were there.

I still very occasionally take a walk from the pier to Venice Beach. I met my wife on Santa Monica beach in 1972

It might have been the Brit store next to the King's Head if it was on Santa Monica boulevard

There'e another Brit store just around the corner called Tudor House. They sell locally made sauage rolls, steak and kidney pies, Cornish pasties and pork pies.

The pork pies..... aaaaarrrrgh :gag:

When I first settled here in California the park in front of the ocean opposite Santa Monica boulevard was a nice place to spend an afternoon. Sometime in the 1980s however it became a hangout for winos and bums and you probably noticed that while you were there.

I still very occasionally take a walk from the pier to Venice Beach. I met my wife on Santa Monica beach in 1972

Just found it on Streetview ... it was the King's Head Shoppe that I kept noticing and thinking what the hell is that doing there!

Never noticed the winos and bums, but we walked along the front to Venice Beach one evening and have to confess we didn't feel safe there.

Great holiday though. Travelled down H1 from SF to Santa Monica, stopping off along the way.

Just found it on Streetview ... it was the King's Head Shoppe that I kept noticing and thinking what the hell is that doing there!

Never noticed the winos and bums, but we walked along the front to Venice Beach one evening and have to confess we didn't feel safe there.

Great holiday though. Travelled down H1 from SF to Santa Monica, stopping off along the way.

Believe it or not Venice Beach is pretty safe even after dark. The people who hang out there are a bunch of characters though

That was the shop I guessed you were talking about in the last post.

There used to be an old English style music hall further along that featured English comedians with a bit of burlesque thrown in but that's long gone

The wife and I are off up Pacific Coast Highway 101 to spend a couple of days in Santa Barbara, Sunday and Monday.

It should be a lot cooler than where I live. Currently 112 F

I have a book dad gave me years ago while I was on a trip to England.

It's called Peter Harvey's Sheffield and was printed in 1980.

There are 56 pages of great old pictures of Sheffield taken around the 1900s.

Some parts of Shefield have changed so much it's hard to recognise them these days.

Fitzalan Square, Weston Park are still much the same. Firshill school is pictured in the book and I drove up that road beside it on my last visit. The school looks much the same as in the book.

I used to like walking up Broomhill and there was a museum in Weston Park that intrigued me as a kid. It had a human skeleton on display amongst its exhibits.

I also used to walk along that narrow alley at the side of the church opposite Cole brothers which led into a square of very historic old buildings.

Anyone ever heard of a character called Ernest Needham, nicknamed Nudger Needham? Captained Sheffield United which won the FA Cup twice in the years 1898-1902.

Nudger was also caopped for England 16 times and played cricket for Derbyshire.

They could sure use him today :hihi:

There's also a photo of of another football team called Sheffield Thursday taken at Hillsboro round about the same time

You've really bought into the American Dream, an't ya, matey? You weren't related to Lord Ha-Ha were you ... :hih:

@USUK, Sheffielders emigrating to USA. I know of a family that went to start a business in the US, of my oldies generation. They'd be in their early 60s now, the son would be about 38ish now at a rough guess, but don't know if they stayed there. They went to San Diego originally. Another older Sheffield bloke I know of just got married out there and they live in San Jose. California or bust, eh? ;)

We must have bbe in San Diego at the same time. IM me his name see if I knew him

Archived