How Dumb Are The Americans ?

I'm an old p*ss taker by nature Alien. You should see how my friends and I get into it. If people like "you know who" want to start that game then I'm their man.

Seriously though I wonder why some chavish xenophobe occasionally starts a thread about classifying all Yanks as dumb or stupid on the basis of something they've seen on U-tube.

I've come to the conclusion it's a form of penis envy. Maybe Sigmund Freud could have explained it but if I mentioned his name they'd probably think he

played for Wednesday

It is a kind of envy. America does everything that little bit slicker, little bit bigger, little bit better. Even simple stuff. Waiters and so on are far better when they're american. They're just that bit peppier and it doesn't feel like its a problem when you ask them for stuff.

Its interesting that the UK slavishly and unashamedly apes the US in almost everything but there are very few things that the US either really admires or wants from Britain - maybe a royal family and a little history but thats about it. Someone also mentioned that the iphone and the ipad were british inventions, thats just untrue, the designer might have been british but its made in america and we just lap it up.

I quite agree that Oz is a great country, and so is the US. But neither of them is a paradise - they have as many faults/problems as the UK, they're just different faults/problems.

Most people who choose to stay here are usually willing to admit to the non-perfection of the UK. Some people who chose to leave seem to feel the need to constantly denigrate it and lavish extravagant praise on their chosen country and will brook no criticism of it, no matter how valid.

You've never seen one of us expats or our American born SF members start a thread knocking England have you? So why do some members start threads insulting Americans in general.? I take exception since my family are American and certainly not dumb or stupid

There are a lot of SF members I'v exchanged posts with who I respect for their fairness and intelligence and I regret very much if some of my responsive posts to the lesser educated SF members have caused them in turn to feel insulted.

The SF is not a cross section of Sheffield and Britis people in general and despite all the caustic rhetoric at times I'm still proud to have been born in a country like Britain

You've never seen one of us expats or our American born SF members start a thread knocking England have you? So why do some members start threads insulting Americans in general.? I take exception since my family are American and certainly not dumb or stupid

There are a lot of SF members I'v exchanged posts with who I respect for their fairness and intelligence and I regret very much if some of my responsive posts to the lesser educated SF members have caused them in turn to feel insulted.

The SF is not a cross section of Sheffield and Britis people in general and despite all the caustic rhetoric at times I'm still proud to have been born in a country like Britain

Maybe just maybe someone started a thread for a laugh or a bit of fun ? could happen.

It is a kind of envy. America does everything that little bit slicker, little bit bigger, little bit better. Even simple stuff. Waiters and so on are far better when they're american. They're just that bit peppier and it doesn't feel like its a problem when you ask them for stuff.

Its interesting that the UK slavishly and unashamedly apes the US in almost everything but there are very few things that the US either really admires or wants from Britain - maybe a royal family and a little history but thats about it. Someone also mentioned that the iphone and the ipad were british inventions, thats just untrue, the designer might have been british but its made in america and we just lap it up.

Americans like English people and many admire them for their culture and contributions to the world of literature. My wife has read every book Charles Dickens ever wrote and Anglophiles like her are nothing unusual either

Last trip to Yorkshire she made me rent a car and dragged me all the way across the moors to see Emile Bronte's home. She was bugging me for a long time to go there on previous visits and just tears around lapping up all the history every minute she's in Britain. There are many Americans like that who even if they're not of British descent still feel some kind of strong attachment to the country

Maybe just maybe someone started a thread for a laugh or a bit of fun ? could happen.

So if I started a thread "How Dumb are Yorkshire people" you wouldn't be insulted. I think a lot on the forum would be and quite reasonably so.

I can see the funny side of it though and there are some reasons for saying that Americans should know more about their country.

One of the reasons that there is a lack of historical knowledge about the country is due to "liberal PC minded people" who back a few decades ago gained considerable influence in the educational system and discontinued lessons on the country's history with the mindset that "we dont need to study or learn about Dead White Men" meaning the American founding fathers. Their theory is that the persecution of native Americans and other non white races should be emphasized instead so Jefferson, Washington et al went on the educational back burner. As for Betsy Ross she did a pretty good job stitching the flag together :)

So if I started a thread "How Dumb are Yorkshire people" you wouldn't be insulted.

Barnsley is in Yorkshire (as is Hemsworth). Both contain some pretty stupid/dumb people, so I doubt that I'd be particularly insulted.

We most certainly do have a sense of humor it is just different from yours. I find the British sense of humor hard to follow. I've been with my OH for over 3 years now and still don't get it half the time when he makes jokes.

As for Americans being dumb, there are plenty of Americans that have no idea about anything but what goes on in their own little lives. I know this because I am related to some of them. Likewise, there are British, German, French, etc that are just the same. It just seems the only ones you ever see are the ones that don't represent the majority.

okay maybe i was harsh and should have said its seems that a lot of americans dont follow the same sense of humor as us which could be interpretated as thinking americans dont have a sense of humor maybe? as for dumb if you read my first post i said 'not sure about all americans being dumb' as thought it was a bit of a broad statement, think every country has that one numpty that shows everyone else up and gives it a bad name, however in england we had 11 men do that no so long ago you may have seen them on tv they were wearing red t-shirts with their names and numbers on the back...

So if I started a thread "How Dumb are Yorkshire people" you wouldn't be insulted. I think a lot on the forum would be and quite reasonably so.

I can see the funny side of it though and there are some reasons for saying that Americans should know more about their country.

One of the reasons that there is a lack of historical knowledge about the country is due to "liberal PC minded people" who back a few decades ago gained considerable influence in the educational system and discontinued lessons on the country's history with the mindset that "we dont need to study or learn about Dead White Men" meaning the American founding fathers. Their theory is that the persecution of native Americans and other non white races should be emphasized instead so Jefferson, Washington et al went on the educational back burner. As for Betsy Ross she did a pretty good job stitching the flag together :)

I wouldn't...cos they are. :hihi:

Archived