Post traumatic stress syndrome (PTS)..

Hi was wondering if anyone suffers from it??

I have been diagnosed with it and am going to under go treatement with a psychotherapist. Feel so stupid only being 26 and having it makes me feel a complete idiot.:loopy:

Is there any support groups for it???

I think you can get it at any age, so the fact that you're 26 is irrelevant. It's a response to a highly stressful event in your life and you'll be a lot better off getting help for it. Good luck with the treatment and ask your psychotherapist to recommend support groups.

There will be support groups for different stressful events and you might find one particularly suited for your own situation. Have a search online as there are support groups and forums for a whole variety of different conditions. You'll almost certainly make contact with other people going through the same thing as you are which can be a great help.

Have been suffering PTSD for 15 years, and hoping that this round of therapy is gonna do some good.

I hope it helps. Do you go through phases where things seem to be going OK and you think you might be past it, then something triggers it all off again?

I had a very bad relapse two years ago but the really annoying thing is the events left me with another set of triggers to add to the collection. Yeah, thanks a bunch for that. :roll:

I was inspired to try meditation after reading about a project for Afghanistan/Iraq veterans with PTSD (and I wish I could remember more details about the place) and it really seemed to help them, and it really helped me too, though of course there are still a lot of dodgy moments. I'm also awaiting a further hitherto unidentified neurological diagnosis which is going to put a different light on the whole thing.

I hope charlie9865's treatment is going well, and that it really was the three letter version without the 'd'. Catching it in good time is so important, otherwise you just keep cycling through circles of hell without having a clue what's going on, which is terrifying. Just understanding what it is your brain's doing is a help (ie quite logical survival tactics, just a bit over-enthusiastically fired off). I hope you don't still feel stupid, the thing about PTS and PTSD is that it's triggered off automatically, sometimes before you've consciously registered what might have set it off.

I haven't looked for some time now, but previously, support for PTSD was very bad in the city, there weren't any support groups then. I don't know if there are now, I've not heard anything. There will be places online but that's not the same is it?

And as I posted somewhere else today, the mental health service is so patchy in dealing with PTSD, that the last so called 'professional' didn't even know what 'PTSD' meant. Incompetence of that basic nature wouldn't be accepted in other areas of health, why is it OK for the likes of us?

Purdyamos ~ So far the therapy is finding my internal "safe place" before being able to progress further, this is due to sometimes not being able to finish sessions in a good place. Still struggling with this part so I have yet to have any real feedback to give.

I also get support from Halfway, who are good too.

I did "get over" it, so to speak about 2000, but had a relapse a couple of years later. Causing me to lose my job (again) and I'm still in that terrible spiral.

I'm really hoping that this round of CBT will really be the answer.

Triggers? Have to deal with them on a daily basis, I think the hardist thing for me is that all this was caused by a serious RTA, yet (fortunately) my sister hasn't suffered (she was in the same RTA) and I'm so pleased for her <phew>.

I also think that like you that I have neurological problems and am awaiting referring for further investigation on that too.

It pains me that people think that there's nothing wrong with me coz they can't see the "owee" ............. Mental Health is still a dirty phrase .............. and that's just another thing to deal with.

I hope you find the answers that you are searching for

Angi :)

Archived