Takeaways cheaper then cooking your own!!

Having a discussion with a friend and she said it was cheaper for her and her fella and kiddo to have a chinese takeaway then to cook something similar

I cant believe its cheaper to have a takeaway then to cook yourself. I know they are a lot more unhealthy with large amounts of fat/salt and smg.

But its the cost. What do people find?.

For example it cant be cheaper to get a takeaway pizza or a typical chinese takeaway like sweet and sour then to make your own(assuming you have the ability to cook!). This is even taking in to account using the bus, or as most people do the car and use of gas etc

Having a discussion with a friend and she said it was cheaper for her and her fella and kiddo to have a chinese takeaway then to cook something similar

I cant believe its cheaper to have a takeaway then to cook yourself. I know they are a lot more unhealthy with large amounts of fat/salt and smg.

For example it cant be cheaper to get a takeaway pizza then to make your own(assuming you have the ability to cook!)

Even if you don't have the ability to make a pizza from scratch it's easy enough and a lot cheaper to buy a basic pizza base and just bung things on the top before putting in the oven.

Sounds more like laziness to me.

For example it cant be cheaper to get a takeaway pizza or a typical chinese takeaway like sweet and sour then to make your own(assuming you have the ability to cook!). This is even taking in to account using the bus, or as most people do the car and use of gas etc

Sure ... you can get a takeaway cheaper than you can make it but then you have to eat it!

I dare say if you made a pizza base yourself and covered it with own brand tomatoes and plastic cheese you could make a basic pizza for about 30p. A few extras could push it up a bit more ...say 50p. Even then it'd be healthier than a shop bought one with all the preservatives and stuff

Same goes for Chinese ... you could make one cheaper but if you're making it yourself why not make it better?

I think when people cook they often use much better ingredients than takeaways use so it's bound to be dearer!:)

If you factor in your own time (in terms of your own hourly rate) to go and source the ingredients and then prepare and cook the meal it could add up.

To go out and buy a chicken, pack of noodles, cashew nuts and so on can add up if you're only cooking for one or two. It's more cost effective if cooking for a family.

Then there's the cost of the gas or electric to do the cooking which also needs factoring in.

Takeaways will always be a luxury item but some places offering large portions for a low amount of money could well be seen as quite cost effective.

Even if you don't have the ability to make a pizza from scratch it's easy enough and a lot cheaper to buy a basic pizza base and just bung things on the top before putting in the oven.

Sounds more like laziness to me.

What about using the gas to cook it, the hot water/dish washer to clean plates, all the time preparing and cleaning up after.

I wouldnt advise having a takeaway, but it can work out cheaper and less hassle.

Baked potato, Beans, Cheese, salad. Add a few more inexpensive ingredients and you can live for a week for the price of a takeaway.

It can be just as cost effective cooking for one...if you apply a little thought.

Spag bog...£5 for a week

Chilli with rice...the same.

The above is not exhaustive and the freezer is your friend.

If you factor in your own time (in terms of your own hourly rate) to go and source the ingredients and then prepare and cook the meal it could add up.

To go out and buy a chicken, pack of noodles, cashew nuts and so on can add up if you're only cooking for one or two. It's more cost effective if cooking for a family.

Then there's the cost of the gas or electric to do the cooking which also needs factoring in.

Takeaways will always be a luxury item but some places offering large portions for a low amount of money could well be seen as quite cost effective.

Jesus!... You really factor in your own time at an hourly rate when you go shopping? Who do you invoice? You factor in the cost of electric and gas when cooking? :hihi::huh:

You consider takeaways as a luxury item..... What do you normally eat or is eating prohibitively expensive at your hourly rate?

That's my idea of cheap, fast food CR.

One chicken breast (rest from the pack go in the freezer)-£1.00

Tin of coconut milk-60p

Half a pack of dried noodles-70p

Lime-30p

Tablespoon of Thai curry paste-say 10p

Tablespoon of fish sauce-say 5p

Three tablespoons cashews-say 30p

Spring onions-60p

So a fresh, quick meal for two for £3.65 :D

Archived