Takeaways cheaper then cooking your own!!

Strangely, when I was working in London and thus only cooking for one, I still went into Tescos on a Monday, picked up some potatoes, stir fry ingredients, meat, milk and bread.

Cooking would take about 20 - 30 minutes in an evening and for 4 days my grocery bill was less than £20. I doubt I could have eaten healthily from takeaway sources for the same price.

If there'd been a cafe nearby it might have been different, but it would have to be close to make the time saving worth it.

Last night I made myself chilli con carne (my own version);

lean minced beef

a few chillis

garlic

beef stock

canned tomatoes

onions

kidney beans

haricot beans

flour

tomato puree

chocolate (85% cocoa)

chilli powder

large pepper

rice

Dead easy to cook and probably around 5 or 6 quid. This made 4 portions, 3 of which went in the freezer. Dead tasty for around £1.50 per serving! :)

Last night I made myself chilli con carne (my own version);

lean minced beef

a few chillis

garlic

beef stock

canned tomatoes

onions

kidney beans

haricot beans

flour

tomato puree

chocolate (85% cocoa)

chilli powder

large pepper

rice

Dead easy to cook and probably around 5 or 6 quid. This made 4 portions, 3 of which went in the freezer. Dead tasty for around £1.50 per serving! :)

an interesting recipe. My secret ingredient for chilli is a good squirt of HP sauce

• 2 months later...
Having a discussion with a friend and she said it was cheaper for her and her fella and kiddo to have a chinese takeaway then to cook something similar

I cant believe its cheaper to have a takeaway then to cook yourself. I know they are a lot more unhealthy with large amounts of fat/salt and smg.

But its the cost. What do people find?.

For example it cant be cheaper to get a takeaway pizza or a typical chinese takeaway like sweet and sour then to make your own(assuming you have the ability to cook!). This is even taking in to account using the bus, or as most people do the car and use of gas etc

Try Dhanistha on Abbeydale Road it's definitely cheaper

Archived