Downloading prosecutions

The best way i can explain this to you or rather compare this to is when you used to copy songs from the radio onto tape, did you hear of anyone getting prosecuted for that then?

Technically speaking it is illegal but just like it was and is illigal to take songs off the radio?

hope that helps.

Home taping is killing music!

Hi,

Recently discovered that my daughter has been downloading films and tv series etc. I prosume from illegal sites but don't know that for a fact as it's new to me.

I am worried about the possibility of prosecution. Does anyone have any experience of this or can recommend sites that are not illegal etc. Should I be worried.

Thanks

dont worry about it..........and dont advertise it

errrrrrrrrrrrrm

You're more likely to get reprimanded from your ISP and possibly banned. Whether they share that information with other service providers and block you from any internet access I can't say.

Thats right but only at the request of somebody.

They wouldn't take any action without either a copy write owner or some one like ACS:LAW (who try to prosecute copywrite infringers hoping to settle out of court for a couple of hundred quid) asking for your IP address so the can identify you to start proceedings.

http://www.peerblock.com/

Peerblock is a free programme that stops them from finding your IP address so they can't trace you.

Technically speaking it is illegal but just like it was and is illigal to take songs off the radio?

Early adverts for video recorders in the late 1970s/early 80s used to come with a disclaimer (in very small print at the bottom) advising people to check with the copyright holder before recording.

No one ever really expected people to get in touch with the BBC or ITV before recording Shoestring or Dallas.

http://www.peerblock.com/

Peerblock is a free programme that stops them from finding your IP address so they can't trace you.

No it doesn't - this is a common misconception about peerblock/peerguardian type tools.

All it does it prevent KNOWN 'bad' peers from connecting to you. So for example any IP addresses that are known to be connected to the copyright holders are blocked.

It does not mask or change your ip address, so your IP is still visible to anyone else connected to the torrent, provided they don't appear on the blocklist.

From the site.

'PeerBlock monitors each connection your computer tries to make with another one - and each connection other computers try to make with you - and then compares the other computer's IP address against a list of "known bad" IP addresses to see whether it should let this connection go through or not.'

Archived