Downloading prosecutions

Some people, like me pay £18 a month, So its your right to download free movies, albums, and DS games. Sure you will all agree. If they ever told me to stop, I would always act clueless, or state the millions that do it already. :)

Some people, like me pay £18 a month, So its your right to download free movies, albums, and DS games. Sure you will all agree. If they ever told me to stop, I would always act clueless, or state the millions that do it already. :)

It's not a right to download free movies, music or ds games because you pay for a connection to the Internet. If you're paying £18 per month for broadband you are being ripped off!

It's not a right to download free movies, music or ds games because you pay for a connection to the Internet. If you're paying £18 per month for broadband you are being ripped off!

But why should someone pay extra for a dvd or album, when you can just get it for free?!

At least I feel I am getting my moneys worth in the £18. Id be ripped off, but only if I wasnt getting the stuff that I get 'free'.

snowaddict - find out HOW she is getting the files.

There's a difference between 'downloading' and 'filesharing'.

Bittorent and Limewire (urgh) are filesharing services so as well as downloading content your computer is also sharing the files it has downloaded. This is where there is chance of getting caught - because your computer is effectively involved in allowing others to obtain illegal content.

Rapisdshare, Mediafire and other services are different in that you are only downloading the file - not sharing it with anyone else so there is far less of a risk.

However, whichever the risk of getting caught, there is a far greater risk that your computer is now loaded up with Trojans, Viruses and Malware. Limewire in particular is riddled with infected files. Trying doing a full virus scan and see what comes back.

Your pretty much safe, instead of going after individuals (because there's so many) they go after the sites offering these things for download in the first place, as there's only ever a main 5 or so that do it, the theory is shut down the source prevent it full stop... other than going after individuals..

and the law clearly states that you cannot SHARE these files or offer for distribution, so, in theory -unless otherwise, specifically stated- you can download them (such as TV shows, providing you have a TV license) but are not allowed to store them for others to download from you (thats how Torrent/peer to peer works)

so basically, you have a 0.0001% chance (maybe lower) of being charged with anything :)

£18 per month really isn't that much... and NONE of that £18 goes to any of the record or publishing companies of any of the movies or games your downloading.. there is no RIGHT to download movies other than those specific places that offer it for additional costs (Such as Sky Player, and iPlayer etc)

the whole thing is a catch 22 situation, people download them, which drives the prices up for those who actually buy them legally, but the high prices cause more people to want to download them, so they do, which drives the prices up more as they arent making the money the expected cause people are downloading them..

But thats why now, alot of content is offered online via authorised sites and payment methods only, and alot of stuff you have to sign in to an authentication service before been able to play/use it...

agree.

I once got a phonecall from BT security regarding a film I had downloaded. They were actually very helpful and requested I removed the file/film from my shared ie Utorrent folder. After a few questions I asked what the take as being acceptable practice. She said it wasnt illegal to download a film/file but was illegal to allow the same file to upload. basically If I used a newsgroup rather than an open torrent I would have been fine.

Archived