Wanted - old sheffield blister and shear and crucible steel

I work as a knifemaker in Fulwood and a lecturer at the Sheffield Hallam University. A knifemaking/researcher friend of mine in the US is experimenting with making blister, shear and crucible steel and is interested in examining old Sheffield blister, shear and crucible steel to see how it differs.

If anyone has any non precious pieces of these steel (or artefacts made of them) that they would be prepared to sell to me, could you let me know?

I think that being involved in this sort of research and hands-on investigation is really important to keeping Sheffield relevent in today's knifemaking/steelmaking industry.

You may find some of the info required in this collection, held at Kelham.

Firth Brown Photographic Collection

The Firth Brown Photographic collection is worthy of particular mention. The collection consists of approximately 21,000 images from the archives of the famous steel manufacturers and innovators Firth-Brown. The museum holds a unique and complete archive of the company's history, which looks at all, aspects of its work. Dating from the 1940s to the 1970s the images show a wide range of subject matter connected to the steel industry. For example, people at work, industrial processes, steel manufacture, laboratory scenes, products produced plus scientific and technological microscopic investigations of metals. The material consists of glass plate and film negatives as well as prints.

Doubt if you will get any one to part. I still use a double shear carving knife, it's worn very thin, but it takes an edge like nothing else you will find. Simply irreplaceable - the finest blade steel bar non.

how about trying ARCUS? They must have come across tons of the stuff over the years and perhaps they do not need all of their samples?

Sadly a little too late for that I think.

"Statement on ARCUS

The University regrets to announce that cut backs in the construction industry due to current market conditions mean that it can no longer sustain ARCUS, the Archaeology Department´s consultancy wing.

As of 31st October 2009, ARCUS will cease to operate as part of the Department and the University. In the period between now and the end of October, ARCUS staff are prioritising delivery of existing contracts. They are also discussing transitional arrangements and are making plans to offer archaeological and cultural heritage services in the future.

The Department of Archaeology is entirely committed to the projects at Manor Park, which are being funded by the Higher Education Innovation Fund, and will continue to deliver these."

Archived