Forcing forum users to reveal their real name

A popular internet forum has made the decision to force users to post with their real first and last name when making posts to the forum. This has caused huge outrage, and a massive backlash against Blizzards battle.net services.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10543100.stm

They say that doing this will cut down on trolling and spamming, but revealing such information is dangerous in a world where knowing a persons name can lead to the home address, telephone number and picture being revealed using popular social networking sites, especially if you have a unique name and you are rather lax about information you post on the internet.

Try googling your name to see how much information is revealed about yourself.

What would you do if Sheffield Forum started doing this? Would you quit or would you be quite happy to tell people your real name?

I'm sure I saw a similar thread to this earlier today xx

Dave Cameron

Bloke

Hetero

(not that there's any problem with queers...I mean Gays....fags......erm what do you people like to be called?)

Guest sibon

What would you do if Sheffield Forum started doing this? Would you quit or would you be quite happy to tell people your real name?

I already do.

Guest sibon
Gerald, you were crap, give us back our hard earned wages

I thought that I was languid, unpredictable and just a little bit exciting.:D

With a bean for a head.

googled my name and nothing whatsoever came up so i am ok :-)

I searched for mine and found my memorial notice! I apparently died in April 2007, but never even noticed, which shows how exciting my life is! :hihi:

According to 192.com, there are 198 people on the Electoral Roll with the same name as me.

Archived