Forcing forum users to reveal their real name

I searched for mine and found my memorial notice! I apparently died in April 2007, but never even noticed, which shows how exciting my life is! :hihi:

According to 192.com, there are 198 people on the Electoral Roll with the same name as me.

Ive just looked on there as well - i have 253 name sakes in the UK by all accounts .

How would you prove the name you were posting under was actually your real name? Or, rather, how would they prove it wasn't? :huh:

Exactly.

A forum I use has this rule, and they insist the email address used to register have the name in too.

I can create multiple email addresses with my ISP, so I set one up as fakename@o2.co.uk, and re-registered on the site as Fake Name.

Nobody would ever know.

On this forum your name is tied to your credit card which is tied to the forum. You have to use your real name for your credit card to work.

Imagine applying for a job, and your potential employer googling your name and finding out you have an unhealthy obsession with "insert forum topic here".

Personal information is precious and worth a lot of money in the wrong hands.

Several users on here know my name. I personally do not have an issue with it but can see where others are coming from. Also I am sure there are some people who use fake names.

Several users on here know my name. I personally do not have an issue with it but can see where others are coming from. Also I am sure there are some people who use fake names.
But they're several users that you presumably know personally and trust with your name? You might not be so laidback if everyone knew it?

In the scenario in the OP, you're forced to reveal your name on an open forum, and who knows where that can lead. In the age of identity fraud, your name is a precious commodity.

Lots of people on SF know my name and anyone that can read, can find me at work if they wanted to. But I'd be extremely perturbed if anyone turned up there and tried to continue a heated debate or even found their way to my home.

Let's hope the practice doesn't catch on!

From someone who has used his proper name since he started on Sheffield forum, id say its how u go about things.

The crazier the username the dodgier it seems to me.

I dont even give posters the time of day if they have 10-50 posts and have only just joined there just trolls waiting for bite.

But they're several users that you presumably know personally and trust with your name? You might not be so laidback if everyone knew it?

In the scenario in the OP, you're forced to reveal your name on an open forum, and who knows where that can lead. In the age of identity fraud, your name is a precious commodity.

Lots of people on SF know my name and anyone that can read, can find me at work if they wanted to. But I'd be extremely perturbed if anyone turned up there and tried to continue a heated debate or even found their way to my home.

Let's hope the practice doesn't catch on!

Some of the users I know generally well & one or two not so well. If I am sent a PM I always introduce myself with my real name & sign off with it too.

If it was forced then it would be an issue. I think it shoud be down to the individual rather than the forum.

Likewise I would not feel comfortable either if someone turned up to my work place. That is taking it too another level.

Archived