Forcing forum users to reveal their real name

A lot of people have their facebook thingys on their signature in the hope that some poor unsuspecting devils will add themselves and their real names are there.

I dont see whats wrong with using your real name, I would have used mine as a forum name instead of the Jabberwocky thing but when I first joined here I was still into chatrooms and automatically thought you had to have a silly forum name.

Things like facebook and sheffield forum are in a different league altogether from the gaming scenario.

Some people play a character when in the role playing worlds, and how that world then impacts Blizzards customers.

For example, 15 year old gets into a silly debate over which character is best in which scenario, skills used etc etc, and goes for a job age 16, quick google search and this kids entire life is turned upside down as the boss decides he don't want someone who lives in another world.

Also the impact on peado's that roam the virtual worlds preying on young kids, you might think this is ott, but it is not, having access to all the childrens names, etc etc.

What is said and done inside the gaming realms don't get published to the net, probabaly data-crunched into backups somewhere but no real security or transparency.

Peado's do use these mediums for preying on children, more so than facebook and public forums.

It's a bad Idea and may just come back to bite them in the butt, they'll lose customers doing it.

When Guild Wars 2 is released I believe they will either change their ways or have their games die a slow death.

The one being discussed in the OP, at a rough guess :)

If I encountered a forum which required me to provide credit card details, I'd close that window in the browser and never go there again!

Apparently in South Korea there is a law saying you have to use your real first and last name when posting on a forum.

I've never used my real name ...If you tell people your real name they may have a power over your soul.:hihi::hihi::hihi: (My mother changed her mind after I was christened and I was registered under another name:roll:.)

I've googled me - and it isn't me....

Likewise. I'm a lot younger than I used to be though. ;)

If I encountered a forum which required me to provide credit card details, I'd close that window in the browser and never go there again!

That's not how it works in the case in question.

Playing the game requires a regular payment, which is mostly done using CC.

Registering on the forum requires a valid user account.

Hence the link, the forum doesn't take your CC, the company you pay to play the game does.

My namesake and I seem to have been in a perpetual fight to the top of the Google results page for years. Me mostly via publishing posts/articles/summaries in my professional field, him as a well-known/oft-interviewed/talked about Interweb and media business type.

Don't know him, which is odd as our family name is quite far from common, so I would have thought he was a not-too-distant relative...:huh:

Just done the Ego Surfing check - I'm still ahead :D:P

Archived