Is it just me that misses compiling mix tapes?

You know what I mean, you only ever made them for potential boyfriends/girlfriends or someone who wanted to get into the music you liked. Now that cassette is pretty much obsolete you can't make them anymore.

The modern equivilant would probably be sending someone a playlist on spotify or maybe putting a file on soundcloud or something. But even that isn't quite enough because with the tape there were other considerations; would the songs all fit on a side? Should it have a theme? Should you include a tracklist? Should each side be noticably different? What do you open with? More importantly what do you close with? Should you do some sort of artwork for a cover? Can you find enough records to convey the message you want to portray? (usually something along the lines of "i'm a sensitive, misunderstood, intellectual soul...now get your pants off) All these problems and more had to be considered and then you invariably had to redo it because it didn't flow properly or there were too many obvious tracks on it or it made you sound too desperate and needy.

Such innocent happy times! Wasting hours for someone you were ulitmately going to leave behind! Is it just me or does anyone have any? Or want to share tips on how to construct them or got any good stories?

You know what I mean, you only ever made them for potential boyfriends/girlfriends or someone who wanted to get into the music you liked. Now that cassette is pretty much obsolete you can't make them anymore.

Such innocent happy times! Wasting hours for someone you were ulitmately going to leave behind!

What do you mean, 'used to'... I got one earlier this year....albeit on CD's.

Folk still do it just with CD's. There's a forum which I go on where a bunch of people have each other on a mailing list and will do a mix CD once every so often so you get the random musical outpourings from lots of different folk.

The mix CD I did for my now wife still sits in the rack from all those many years ago :)

Not just you! Remember having my fingers on the record button as they were announcing the songs.....Oh, and at one point, you had to be quiet so as not to get voices on the tape as well as the song. It was all hell to pay if your mum walked in, and spoke, and ruined the recording. You had to wait until the following Sunday night to try again!

Folk still do it just with CD's. There's a forum which I go on where a bunch of people have each other on a mailing list and will do a mix CD once every so often so you get the random musical outpourings from lots of different folk.

The mix CD I did for my now wife still sits in the rack from all those many years ago :)

Good for you! The last mix tape I did for soemone was about 10 years ago. I can still remember a couple of the tracks on it

yes its just you, i still make comps...sometimes with a theme :P

i do em on cd

and also as mp3s online for people on a couple of sites to hear (some had themes such as various punk music related genres, valentines etc).

the other day i even posted a "compilation" of youtube video links......that had a theme too

Archived