Is it just me that misses compiling mix tapes?

It's not the same, although on the back of this thread I've jsut gone and done a CD one for my holiday. When I'm listening to it I'll pretend it's cassette. Do you remember recording off of the radio too? The top 40, when it was good? :)

I remember listening to the John Peel show, fingers hovering over the pause/record buttons to try and catch the best stuff. There's still stuff from back then that I remember and haven't been able to find decent copies of since from the wealth of stuff available for download from the internet.

Somehow collecting music like that made it far more like real treasure than the way we currently get music.

I remember listening to the John Peel show, fingers hovering over the pause/record buttons to try and catch the best stuff. There's still stuff from back then that I remember and haven't been able to find decent copies of since from the wealth of stuff available for download from the internet.

Somehow collecting music like that made it far more like real treasure than the way we currently get music.

Absolutely. You did it yourself in real time. I still have tapes from when I was a 11/2/3/4 years old which mean so much to me, because I taped it. Nobody else had that song for a bit.

There's something about the magic of the radio which I still love.

I am with the times, the whole point of the thread is that I miss making them.

When I was djing, I recorded most weeks on my CD recorder, and gave them away to whoever asked first. I wish I'd kept some of them now. :(

My friend brought a 3 cd set a while back that I'd done, which came in useful last week at a party at ours. We got all the music gear out, and I realised all my CD's are packed away at my folks' 'ouse. So our poor neighbours had to hear a 3 hour set that I played in July 2002 (twice) :hihi:

Absolutely. You did it yourself in real time. I still have tapes from when I was a 11/2/3/4 years old which mean so much to me, because I taped it. Nobody else had that song for a bit.

There's something about the magic of the radio which I still love.

I wish I still had the cassettes I had recorded back then. I had some Pulp stuff from 1982 which was great. (was it 1982, did Pulp exist back then?)

Me too - I had a tape ready for every show!

If you miss John Peel make sure you listen to his son's new show on 6 Music (or iplayer).

He even played something at the wrong speed a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00slvl3

What a great thread this is, it brings back so many memories. I had loads and loads of these tapes, either given or ones I'd put together myself.

Remember the days of doing your own fast forwarding with the use of a biro and spinning the tape around with some speedy wrist action?

I miss the sound of playing while fast forwarding, that lovely screeching noise, that usually resulted in crinkle wrinkles on my BASF.

Ahhh the good old days.

Archived