Is it just me that misses compiling mix tapes?

Do you remember recording off of the radio too? The top 40, when it was good? :)

I've still got all my old tapes of the top 40 somewhere; it'd be nice to dig them out and give them a listen. I've also got mix tapes people made me, which would also be quite amusing to listen to now.

As for mix CDs, well, I still get those (someone actually gave me one yesterday!) and I still make them for people. It's a great way to discover music you might not have otherwise seeked out.

When I was djing, I recorded most weeks on my CD recorder, and gave them away to whoever asked first. I wish I'd kept some of them now. :(

My friend brought a 3 cd set a while back that I'd done, which came in useful last week at a party at ours. We got all the music gear out, and I realised all my CD's are packed away at my folks' 'ouse. So our poor neighbours had to hear a 3 hour set that I played in July 2002 (twice) :hihi:

I've got a couple of tapes and cd's of sets i've played as well. Its tremendous fun listening back to it and not being able to recognise a track!

And then you always made a mistake when writing out the tracks on the sleeve and had to start all over again :hihi:

hahahahhahaaaaa grrrrrrrr that was sooooo annoying !! And Tippex-ing out the mistakes carefully, all part of the fun :lol:

I miss that too !!

Somehow collecting music like that made it far more like real treasure than the way we currently get music.
You mean the feeling that it "belonged" to you because you'd made the effort to find it or were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time?

its still true with things like spotify..

What do you call the playlist?

how many tracks do you put in it? you don't want it to be too short and seem like you took no time at all, but then you don't want it to be long and boring

which tracks do you put in the playlist? do you stick to a theme, or just some 'good' tracks, or meaningful tracks...

what order do you do them in?

and indeed, which tracks? do you include groups/artists you know the person wouldn't generally like or listen to, or do you try and stick to what you know they like?

then there's the ultimate, do they even have spotify?

:)

all the decisions of before still exist, but in a slightly (loosely) modified form..

its still true with things like spotify..

What do you call the playlist?

how many tracks do you put in it? you don't want it to be too short and seem like you took no time at all, but then you don't want it to be long and boring

which tracks do you put in the playlist? do you stick to a theme, or just some 'good' tracks, or meaningful tracks...

what order do you do them in?

and indeed, which tracks? do you include groups/artists you know the person wouldn't generally like or listen to, or do you try and stick to what you know they like?

then there's the ultimate, do they even have spotify?

:)

all the decisions of before still exist, but in a slightly (loosely) modified form..

But the major difference is that you don't get a physical item with a Spotify playlist. So its not really like a proper gift

But the major difference is that you don't get a physical item with a Spotify playlist. So its not really like a proper gift

You could print (or buy) a card with a 'short URL' to the Spotify playlist, then you have something physical to give, as well as spending the time to think of a message to write in the card also..

You could print (or buy) a card with a 'short URL' to the Spotify playlist, then you have something physical to give, as well as spending the time to think of a message to write in the card also..
Still not quite the same. A tape was bespoke, a playlist is more off the peg...

I've got a couple of tapes and cd's of sets i've played as well. Its tremendous fun listening back to it and not being able to recognise a track!

It did catch everyone's attention when near the end I bellowed out [on the recording] 'last orders at the bar please' :hihi:

Archived