Parking legally infront of your own house?

Hi people,

In my house my mum and brother both have cars which they park on our drive which holds 2cars. Then on the road when my 2brothers partners come over they park their cars on the front of the house on the road, not on the pavement and fully T&T with insurance. So when everyone is at the house there are 4cars on the front of the house.

Well our neighbours have been complaining to my brother telling him not to park so many cars on the front which has been causing him stress.

The thing is that all our neighbours only have 1 car and have a drive that can hold 2 cars so they don't need do park on the road anyway but just to be awkward they get out early in the morning just to move their car onto the road and complain again if they cant.

In a few week I will be getting my first car and it will be easier for me to park on the road where there is more room for my hoist to lift my wheelchair but I know the neighbours are going to carry on complaining but next time to me.

Are there any rules as to how many cars you can park infront of your house that are fully T&T with insurance and not blocking any driveways etc?

As long as the cars are used legitmately by the household or visitors, if they are parked considerately, I don't see a problem. If someone had a hobby of collecting cars/doing them up/selling them, whatever, and had a few on the street, then that's different.

You could really annoy them and park in front of their houses (not blocking the drive) as it's perfectly legal to do so :)

I've had someone do that at my parents, I was parked across from their drive and he asked me not to park there!? Perfectly legal etc etc. Some people think they own all land in front of their houses.

Are there any rules as to how many cars you can park infront of your house that are fully T&T with insurance and not blocking any driveways etc?

There are no rules, only neighbours' consideration for each other. A reasonable neighbour would not hog any more of the road than it is necessary for him to do so.

It does not sound to me like your brothers and their partners are being unreasonable. It sounds as though perhaps some of your neighbours are. By the same token, if you need room to use a wheelchair hoist, you parking in the road is not in the least bit inconsiderate.

Nope there are no markings to say no parking or no signs etc. There is plenty of room to get up and down the road as someone down the rod fetches a truck up and down every day and manages to fit

The road outside your house doesn't belong to you, therefore, anyone can park there provided they're not causing an obstruction.

Because of your disabilities, what i suggest you do is contact the council and they may decide to 'allocate' the space on the road outside your house as a disabled bay by marking it as such. This has happened with a neigbour of mine.

Because of your disabilities, what i suggest you do is contact the council and they may decide to 'allocate' the space on the road outside your house as a disabled bay by marking it as such. This has happened with a neigbour of mine.

Which will cost £140, assuming you're under Sheffield council - and please note that it does not mean the space is allocated to you personally. It just means that anyone parking in it should display a blue badge.

Furthermore, it's not legally enforceable; if some arrogant oik from next door insists on parking in "your" disabled bay without a blue badge, there is nothing that anyone can do to stop him. Our own decision was that, given this fact, it's not worth the money to have it done; however the council do say that it's largely successful where used.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/policies-plans-performances/non-regulatory-markings

Archived