Barnsley - good place to live?

Cawthorne is lovely in Barnsley.  I use to know someone who lived there a number of years ago.  I think then most of the village only had electricity, for some reason they wouldn’t allow gas pipes in the village.  That’s a number of years ago so very forward thinking  on climate change, although I’m not sure that was the reason why.
 Cawthorne is next to Cannon Hall Park and Gardens, which I have been to many times, it’s well worth a visit.

My mother loved Barnsley centre and the market for food shopping but that’s before the new market was built.

Edited by hauxwell

44 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I shall be at the Market this morning , Barnsley has kept its traditional markets in the historical area and it is well worth a visit by Sheffielders who can only have memories of. such a place .

I agree, it has kept its traditional style.  I’ve only been to the new market a few times as I don’t live in Sheffield now.  However I’m hoping to visit the market again in the near future.

My mother and father use to go there every week and when my father died I use to take my mother there to do her shopping.

Edited by hauxwell

44 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I shall be at the Market this morning , Barnsley has kept its traditional markets in the historical area and it is well worth a visit by Sheffielders who can only have memories of. such a place .

Nobody cares. 

It's a market selling mostly cheap or knock off tat made in the Far East not some historical monument or heritage building of national importance.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Nobody cares. 

It's a market selling mostly cheap or knock off tat made in the Far East not some historical monument or heritage building of national importance.

Go into M&S and see how many things you can find made in the Far East, look at the labels on their clothes and see where most of them are made?

It’s not just markets who sell tat. I bought a unless tin opener from M&S made in China, took it back and got a refund, then  bought one less than half the price than what I paid in M&S from Asda, it was also made in the Far East but did a better job than the M&S one.

I don’t know enough about the economics of why we buy from these countries, probably the cost, but it’s sad that we can’t make more things in this country. 

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Go into M&S and see how many things you can find made in the Far East, look at the labels on their clothes and see where most of them are made?

It’s not just markets who sell tat. I bought a unless tin opener from M&S made in China, took it back and got a refund, then  bought one less than half the price than what I paid in M&S from Asda, it was also made in the Far East but did a better job than the M&S one.

I don’t know enough about the economics of why we buy from these countries, probably the cost, but it’s sad that we can’t make more things in this country. 

I agree. Us consumers have caused this issue by wanting cheap cheap cheap. I am not denying that.  But that was not quite my point.

What I'm saying is if they suddenly moved  M&S to a different location or changed the store layout or put it in a new building, I would not be endlessly and overdramatically banging on about it or making ludicrous points about how it's a such a tragedy, despicable acts by the council or crying its ruining a historic M&S trading location.

Something which a certain poster on this forum seems to constantly bring up about Castle Market even hijacking a completely irrelevant thread such as this. 

Like I said, nobody cares. A market is a market. A shop is a shop. All this "historical trading" nonsense as if it's so nationally or heritage  important. It isn't.  It's hardly the York shambles or Covent Garden.

Barnsley market could move into the middle of the Alhambra for all ordinary people would care. It won't because Barnsley, being  a small insignificant town, unlike Sheffield, the big city, has compact shopping which is nothing more than two or three streets parallel to each other. Therefore much easier to keep everything where it is.

Edited by ECCOnoob